Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im buying a 92 Bronco 5.8l for around 2k any ideas of what i should look for? visualy it is in good shape. the ac and heater dont work.... other then that everything fucntioned as it was supposed to including 4x4... never having owned a bronco but still having a decent mechanical know how what are somethings i should look for that are common problems with this vehicle? Any input would be great...

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Check for rust underneath the rig. See if the owner will let you take a magnet to the tailgate, floor pan and wheel wells...if it sticks it's good and solid dheet metal...if it doesn't it's rusted through or bondo'd to hell. Beyond that...make sure there's no smoking, leaking or grinding when it runs.

·
Registered
78 Posts
x2 for checking the floors. My 90 looked great inside and out but when I ripped up the carpet I had about a dozen decent size holes. Especially the wheel wells. They were pretty much gone.

·
Redneck Romeo
1,810 Posts
Especially check the floor back by the tailgate. I've got two holes the size of half-dollars (does anyone besides me even remember how big a half-dollar is?), one on each rear corner.

Red's right, too. Find a mechanic close by who will take a look at the truck for you. Even if it costs $50, it's better than making a $2000 mistake.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i would check your coolant too along with oil and if its the e40d (don't knowif the equip those in bronco ) bring it up to highway speed and slowly speed up if it lags or shudders bail it an expensive fix ($2800)

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Look at oil for presence of coolant. Smell transmission fluid, burnt = bad. Look under for rust on frame. Look for shit held together with tape or zip ties. Make sure rear window works. Look for smoke from exhaust on startup or while its running. Make sure it will shift through all gears. Drive it - no clunking or grinding when it turns. Look under hood on passenger side by firewall. Hopefully the two hoses are not running to the firewall (where it connects to heater core), if heat doesn't work more than likely heater core leaked. Pull up carpet on passenger side to see if there is rust, assuming heater core leaks. Take it to parts store to have battery/charging system checked out.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Rust on the B pillars is common
Look for cracks in the drip rail at the very rear of the cab.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanx, A little more info

Yeah, I didnt get it yet but last night i went and drove it for about 25 minutes, from around town upto about 65 MPH with no noticeable problems, it shifted smooth, no excessive vibration, No serious smoking, The Oil was clean and the coolant was good, (i have a collant tester). no noticeable rust underneath, the paint was faded but not bad. the rear window only works by using the key... the 4x4 felt solid and didnt make any noises.... So I guess the question is Do you all feel that this vehicle is worth the 2500 mark? Im actually trading my Bass Boat for it which is worth from 2500-3000 depending who you ask... ALSO my plans are to GUT the truck and Rhino Line the Inside anyone done it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts