Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I have a 5.0 on my 1988 bronco. It is all stock with 33" tires on it. I think that my truck is a pig when it goes uphill on the freeway. I had my mechanic check the compression on the engine and it was not too bad ( I don't remember numbers). I have never had any other bronco so I really don't know if this is normal with the 5.0 or what?. I really don't have much money to throw into the engine, plus I have to pay for labor and that is why I would like to know if its worth it to rebuild the 5.0 or simply find a used 5.8. My mechanic keeps telling me that there is really not much difference when it comes to power on both. He says that if I were to rebuil the 5.0 with very little mods I would get the same power out of it. I was pretty much quoted about the same for either option I take. I would cost me about $700 to rebuild 5.0 engine plus $500 removal/installation, or buying a used 351w for $600 plus the installation. I know that if I install the 351W there is other details that I need to worry about. I am no expert and that is why I would like to hear some input. And before I get those f*&^ing comments, I did a search on this topic but I want specific comments and advice on my sittuation.

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have heard something about the gears before but I never gave it much thought. What would you suggest to regear? As I said, my budget is limited so please keep that in mind. In the future I wanted to install a 6in lift with 35" wheels. Is there any "gears" taht would be usefull now and once I do this lift. The lift is not going to happen any time soon but I would not like to pay for gears twice. What do you suggest?

·
Registered
231 Posts
35's I'd say 4:10's since your driving it on the highway........4.56's if you drive a lot offroad and dont care much about fuel mileage

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,883 Posts
since you have an OD tranny i would run 4.56. the rpms wont be to high that you couldnt live with for awhile till you go with taller tires and a lift.

·
Bronkin' 'Round!
88 351/AOD/4” ProComp 94 351/E4OD/4” Superlift
2,914 Posts
Change the tranny fluid and filter, too while you're at it. Make sure all your power is getting to the wheels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts