Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
starting to plan my build and found some sites that have "complete" re-build kits. like these....

http://www.flatlanderracing.com/rebuildkitsford.html

would this be a good idea? thinking of using as much as i can from my block, but would change rings, bearings, cam, lifters maybe the crank. not looking to build a beast, but please dont say "stroker" just want to freshen it up a bit and keep her solid.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,830 Posts
i would track down a local machine shop and talk with them. are you planning on having the motor hot tanked and such?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Youre gonna need a machine shop to hone the block etc.... but if you are gonna do a "refresh" why not replace the pistons and everything else, oil pump, to be sure that you have a "fresh" motor and not something you just reused. Just my opinion but Id redo the whole thing and no I am not saying stroker

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
X2 with "hot tanking" parts, especially your upper fuel injection plenum and lower intake manifold so there's no residual inside......I won't go into all the details but had a new 302 EFI built in 08 and it had a melt down around 1500 miles and never got a specific answer as to what caused it, fortunatley the engine was under warranty but they had to replace the crank, bearings, cam and lifters indicating only that there was a "gritty" substance in the oil but I changed it 3x in the 1st 1800 miles....?

The builder recommended 20W-50 which I thought was too thick for a new engine so now I only use OEM recommended 10W-30 for 302's, changing with filter at 3k without fail.....fortunately it worked out and the engine is now running like a Swiss watch at around 8k.. a Royal PITA....

Tolerances and oil are extremely important so build it or have it built the way you want with tolerances and oil in mind AND do your HOMEWORK ahead of time so everything is planned out properly with no surprises if you 're assembling it yourself......otherwise go to a machine shop for help and guidence.

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
7,830 Posts
the thicker oil is used for the first 3000miles for break in and help seat the rings and such. once you have passed the 3000mile mark you can run regular 10w30. i recommend using rotella oil during the break in also.

·
Premium Member
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
wasn't planning on the hot tank, but will talk to the shop. still in the early planning stages. edelbrock intake has not been on that long so not much carbon there. i have a shop in mind just need to give them a call when the time is right. was planning on them setting the crank and all in the block. heads will be gt-40's. need to find the right cam and rods. with all the work the shop will be doing i wonder if it would be worth getting a new short block someplace. keep the ideas coming.

·
Chillin on the Gulf Coast
1,593 Posts
I have my motor in the shop now for hot tanking and machining. I am also having the shop purchase the bearings, rings, and a few other parts that I cant get easily or need to be specificially fitted to the motor. I didnt go for one of those "kits" since I dont know exactly what needs replacing. I am doing alot of the parts acquiring as I go and so far so good. I will probably end up paying more this way though.

·
7,830 Posts
i am also going thru a rebuild on my 5.8 and having the shop gather the required parts. the block is getting a .030 bore, crank turned .010roller cam polished, new piston and rings of course and bearings. heads are getting new springs but the valves, guides are good.

will also have the shop assemble the motor so its on them if something happens.

·
Premium Member
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'm at a loss without all my reference books someplace in storage back in ny. i've done this build on paper many times, wish i could remember

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
If that were the case why would Ford recommned 10W-30 as opposed to 20W-50 right off the bat, the rebuild was a different long block then my original one and
they gave me a Zinc additive called Torco to pour along the oil galley, pushrod and lifter slots..........

My only concern was the heavier oil would mask any problems if the tolorences were off and apparently they were BUT it runs great now and I'll just change my oil/filter every 3k without fail..........

For Hot Tanking, it's your call but I would want to have piece of mind that everything is absolutely clean before re-assmebling the engine, but that's just me.....

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
C-Dub,
I agree with these guys on hot taking and allowing the machine shop to at least assemble the short block. Just too many things can go wrong. Having a warranty is nice when it comes to this stuff. Anyway, be prepared to be patient with the machine shop. My shop took 2 weeks to get the parts and do all of the work. In hindsight, I would have bought a junk engine and broke it down to a long/short block and took it to them to do the work while I sill drove my Bronco. But that was years ago when I was DD'ing my Bronco.

·
Premium Member
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
C-Dub,
I agree with these guys on hot taking and allowing the machine shop to at least assemble the short block. Just too many things can go wrong. Having a warranty is nice when it comes to this stuff. Anyway, be prepared to be patient with the machine shop. My shop took 2 weeks to get the parts and do all of the work. In hindsight, I would have bought a junk engine and broke it down to a long/short block and took it to them to do the work while I sill drove my Bronco. But that was years ago when I was DD'ing my Bronco.
yah, i hear yah. i've been beeting myself up over it for awhile now. still gotta come up with $$$ amounts and see how things wiegh against the cost of a short block. as it looks now the project just got "pushed to the right", but will give lots of time to plan

·
Premium Member
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
well got my gt4o's today.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i got a 351 with 35,000 miles on it :))) had my shop gut it. the built up from there, stroked it up to 407 cid. some patriot heads. cam, pistons, hydraulic roller lifters, Edelbrok intake...

·
Premium Member
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
thats real sweet, maybe i can wait another year for another trip to afgan land to pay for it all. my basic plan is gt-40 heads edelbrock intake and some headrs if i can find a good set. nothing crazy. i would do a stroker if i can keep the price down a bit

·
7,830 Posts
hows that running on speed density??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts