Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck is my daily driver, i have work tomorrow at 6 and i need my DD back!

Scenario, I had a week off work, So i finally got around to taking the upper and lower intake out, sandblasting the inside and out, painting it pretty, changing the oil pump, check all my connections, clean them ect ect.

I have the pump in, engine back on the mounts, upper and lower intake in, ready to go. But dumbass me, forgot to label where the distributor points were when u pulled it off the block. Reading my Haynes book tells me to set cylinder 1 to TDC, put the points on cylinder one on the distributor and slide it in. No biggy, i can do that easy. But my problem is the oil pump driveshaft slid out of the distributor when i pulled it out, and it is stuck in the oil pump. Now i can't get the distributor to slide back in becasue the slop from the driveshaft is resting on the groove for the distributor.

Does anyone have some pointers, tips, or a story how they got it back in?:banghead

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
And make SURE you have EVERY GRAIN OF SAND out of the upper and lower intake manifold or you will be rebuilding the motor-

·
Registered
262 Posts
i learned the hard way not to sandblast an intake. I made the intake pretty, chewed up the 302 in my explorer a little later.

Like Kenny said bump it and it'll go in.

Or like i did when i yanked mine to do the intake gaskets, big magnetic retriever.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
But my problem is the oil pump driveshaft slid out of the distributor when i pulled it out, and it is stuck in the oil pump. Now i can't get the distributor to slide back in becasue the slop from the driveshaft is resting on the groove for the distributor.
It is supposed to stay in the oil pump. There is a retainer on the shaft to keep it from sliding out of the pump.

What exactly is this "slop from the driveshaft" you are talking about?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you!!!

It is supposed to stay in the oil pump. There is a retainer on the shaft to keep it from sliding out of the pump.

What exactly is this "slop from the driveshaft" you are talking about?
Yeah, i knew the retainer clip should have been there, but from the looks or the dents on the oil pan (looks like somone put a jack there) and the failure to have a gasket on the oil pump, seems like someone had been in there before. There wasn't a retainer clip on it. By slop, i mean the shaft doesn't fit snug, so it can slop slightly to make the shaft lean. Like a bolt in a socket. Tight enough to work right, but not tight enough to hold it.

Well, i finally got the shaft out. As i went to put the distributor back in, i bumped the intake, the shaft fell out, past the oil pump and into the oil pan SOB!!! Now looks like im lifting the engine, takin the pan back out and doing the process all over again. :banghead

1 - 8 of 8 Posts