Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so im wanting to do a SAS on my 89 bronco before i move cross country so savin money a big part of what i should do. first the bronco is an 89. 302, e4od, 8.8 rear and the ttb front. now the diff have both 4.88 gears with powertrax lockers. i will be driving mostly back and forth round town and alittle off roading on weekends.

now why i can't decide what to do. locally i have found a 95 f350 4wd 460 ($1200). and also the whole front end of a 79 f150 ($300). the f350 has a leaf dana 60, and 10.25 rear. the f150 is an dana 44. so i could use the gears and lockers and 4" lift springs i already have if i do the f150. but i want to swap the 460 in the bronco and change the front end to the newer body style, and have a set of half doors. plus the f350 already has a 4" lift also brand new 35"s. i wont have to change gears in the 60 if i also swap the rear to. i would also like to do the dana 60 and 10.25 swap one day tho. also its going be my birthday next week so i could try to get the f150 stuff as a gift

any help would be very appreciative and thank you again :thumbup

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would vote Dana 60. Ive seen a dana 44 snap on a 76 F150 with BFG KM2 35" trail riding. Not climbing anything just riding offroad. So if your are going through the trouble to do this then just get the Dana 60 installed. Remember money saved now could cost you two fold later.

·
Registered
32 Posts
BTW are you going leafs or coils. From what I have researched (and I could be wrong) the perch spacing on that axle would be perfect for a leaf setup. Right now thats my plans for my 87. Im currently hunting a D60 for my front. I have a Dana 60 for the rear. We will see how it goes.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well if i do the f350 ill be doing leafs and the f150 it'll be coils. i figured ill send bout $300 for front end of the 95 and bout another easy $600 to $1000 for the axles and everything else for the dana 60 and 10.25. plus easy $500 for the 460 with the computer and trans and that stuff. then $100 for doors and that. and i know the 95 f350 runs and everything just passed safety and that. have an easy $2000 to $3000 for everything if i was to get everything separately so ill really be saving money in the long run for sure. and the leaf dana 60 is almost bolt in swap. and the dana 44 ill have to costume fab some stuff which i dont really have time for with work. the 60 i could probably do in a week at the most i would think?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
then i could go and sale the lift for the bronco that i haven't installed yet and the gears and that for the 44 and 8.8

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Go for the 60. 1200 bucks for a full donor truck!!!!!!

I spent 1000 just on a 60 and the 10.25 not to mention gears, springs shackles, and other brackets. Plus you have the 460 sitting there waiting for you.

Its a no brainer

·
Registered
304 Posts
what shape is your bronco in? if i were you, i would sell the bronco and buy and drive the f350, and possibly find a new bronco to swap parts over to once you move to your new location and are set up a little better. it's easier to move across the country with a fullsize bed than it is with a loaded bronco, but that's just my $0.02

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
what shape is your bronco in? if i were you, i would sell the bronco and buy and drive the f350, and possibly find a new bronco to swap parts over to once you move to your new location and are set up a little better. it's easier to move across the country with a fullsize bed than it is with a loaded bronco, but that's just my $0.02
Now why you gotta go and be all logical like that. :goodfinge

Maybe the bronco has emotional ties hmmmm

:haha

Not a bad idea at all, depends on the shape of everything on either vehicle and the motors etc...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well the guy i bought it from had it since brand new in 89 and restored from 2000 to 2003. so its in really good shape. there's a few dents from moab. i just fixed the only leak it had that was a valve cover gasket. besides that nothings wrong with it. the 95 f350 has a small oil leak. haven't look where its coming from tho. besides that the 95 is in decent shape.

going with the dana 60 will i need a longer front drive shaft?

·
Banned
1,311 Posts
well if i do the f350 ill be doing leafs and the f150 it'll be coils. i figured ill send bout $300 for front end of the 95 and bout another easy $600 to $1000 for the axles and everything else for the dana 60 and 10.25. plus easy $500 for the 460 with the computer and trans and that stuff. then $100 for doors and that. and i know the 95 f350 runs and everything just passed safety and that. have an easy $2000 to $3000 for everything if i was to get everything separately so ill really be saving money in the long run for sure. and the leaf dana 60 is almost bolt in swap. and the dana 44 ill have to costume fab some stuff which i dont really have time for with work. the 60 i could probably do in a week at the most i would think?
I wouldn't call the d60 almost bolt in, although I've heard it said before. If you go with the d44, what do you plan to do for radius arm? If you buy some good ones, they cost quite a bit. I would go with the d60 because it's easier if nothing else. Still some fab work though. The front drive line will bolt up. It's not long enough for much droop though. Then your drive line will hit the trans x member also.

·
Registered
304 Posts
i wish i had the spare cash, because i found a d60f 10.25 78 f150 rolling chassis for $1600. a d60 goes for around $8-1200 here, so one setup for coils and radius arms with a matching rear is well worth that to me, especially since i don't have a welder. man i need to get back to work.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Go for the 60. 1200 bucks for a full donor truck!!!!!!

I spent 1000 just on a 60 and the 10.25 not to mention gears, springs shackles, and other brackets. Plus you have the 460 sitting there waiting for you.

Its a no brainer
what he said! if you want to go d60 anyway, why do something else?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts