Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
building my 351w and the new cam is going in...i ordered a new dizzy gear but i have never installed one...ive always just put a new dizzy in...

anyone got any tips before i jump into this???

dc

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,874 Posts
i had a shop swap mine out. you need to press it off after you remove the pin. i had mine done for $30 bucks so in my mind was well worth not messing with it

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
What'd you pay for the gear? I can get you one and a couple roll pins for $5 plus shipping cast(flat tappet cam, blue) or steel(roller cam, yellow), from Ford. You need to press out the roll pin and press the gear off the shaft. When you put it back on you have to make sure you press it on to the exact right spot. Don't drill until it's on the shaft or just drill one side of the gear. After the gear is on drill the rest of the way through the shaft and the other side of the gear(you probably won't get it lined up with the original holes. The book recommends drilling 90 deg from the original hole so you don't end up elongating the orignal hole..

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
If the gear is not already drilled then don't even try to line it up. Just mark on the shaft where the hole is then when you get the gear on drill it 90 deg from there. If it is already drilled then I don't see why you couldn't use the original hole but you'd be real lucky if you could get it to line up right. Once you press the gear on you won't be able to turn it the slightest bit to align the holes if you need to.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
DcSkater602 said:
any problems w/ using the origional hole if i can get it lined up???

i hope my gear came w/ a new pin:shrug

dc
Don't drill any new holes :twak
It's a bitch trying to line that up, not much room for error. IIRC, it took me several tries to get it right. Be carefull and deliberate with your install and you should be OK.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
waltman said:
Don't drill any new holes :twak
What the hell are you talking about? Have you read the manual on how to do this? That's how they say to do it and it's a hell of a lot easier than removing the gear several times to try and get it to line up with the original hole.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
RLKBOB said:
What the hell are you talking about? Have you read the manual on how to do this? That's how they say to do it and it's a hell of a lot easier than removing the gear several times to try and get it to line up with the original hole.
Yes, and I just looked it up again and my Hanes tells me, if at first you don't succeed, to try, try again. I wouldn't re drill a hole any ways, even though I did consider it, I ultimately decided rather than weaken the shaft and also risk misaligning the gear and causing premature wear, I would keep trying until I got it right.

Since my manual tells me to keep trying, how about scanning the page from your book and showing me.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
Damn, that's the first I've heard it being that way. Scanner hasn't worked in a whle now but I'll note exactly where in the book I read that. BTW we make Motorcraft distributors at my plant and re-drilling at 90 deg is common practice, not on new but on remans. I've also had more than one dizzy I've removed from an engine that had 2 holes in it(some with 2 holes in the gear and shaft and some with one hole in gear and 2 holes in shaft).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts