Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone i have an 81 fullsize and im trying to figuire out what engine is in it. The reason im asking here is because I"ve searched and found contridicting info, all help is appreciated.
My first step to try to identify my engine was to compare it to my Dad's (He has an 83 fullsize with a 351W) i noticed a couple diffences so that led me to thinking i had a 351M. my next step was searching the internet. I found and article on Wikipedia and it states that in the 81 and 82 fullsizes they used up the last of the 351M's they had and in mid 82 they switched to the 351W. So at that point i was positive i had a 351M. But the other day i got The LMC catalog in the mail and on the first couple of pages it has a vin decoder and when i looked at my vin number the engine code is G so that would mean its a 351W according to LMC But Wikipedia says ford used 351M's in 81 and 82 so why would a 81 have a 351W?

Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Bronco

LMC
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=11
Picture of said engine

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
looks like a 351m, but take a picture of the waterpump/distributor area to confirm

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
351M motor-the ends of the valve covers are basically square.
351W motor-the bottom edge of the valve cover is longer than the top edge.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
351m or 400 uses 351 Cleveland {bulky} valve covers. 289,302,351 windsor use the same little tiny wimpy valve cover.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
6 valve cover bolts=302/351W

8 valve cover bolts=351M/400
well its dark out but i went out with a flash light and counted and it has 6, i will confirm it when its light out and take more pictures of the motor. the vin code is G. do i just have a rare 81 with a 351w? i dont think the motor has been swapped well atleast not in the last 20 years that my family owned it.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
there is 8 there

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
Yep you forgot the two on the ends:toothless

1 - 12 of 12 Posts