Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attempted to tear into the steering column today to see if I could find the problem with my shift selector. Anyway in the process I removed the ignition cylinder. Now I'm trying to put it back in and it refuses to seat the whole way down..

It will go far enough in so that I can turn the key forward, but it won't go to start and I can't get the key to release..Any suggestions or tips? I'm sure I'm missing simple, but I had to walk away before I got any more frustrated. Thanks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Only been in a real old one. Well like '73 or 4.
Buddy of mine did his this weekend. The way he talked the whole thing came out. Had to have it in the "run" position to get it back in. Hope that helps.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it's in the run position but I still can't get it to seat the whole way..

·
Super Moderator
26,307 Posts
yo,
Some skinnies on it (I made that term up just now)
Cylinder Replacement & Location Diagram in 92-96; "...Align pin from ignition switch with slot in lock/column assembly. Position slot in lock/column assembly with index mark on casting. Ignition switch should be in RUN position..."
Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/media/573959

Cylinder Replacement; "...That pin isn't the ONLY thing holding the lock cylinder in place. The tip of the cylinder that actually works the gear is also keyed, and fits thru a slot in a retaining washer (3E700). If the cylinder isn't in the RUN position, the keyed end is captive in the washer and won't pull out because of the snap ring (3C610). The correct way (and I've done this a few times) is to drill out the key SLOT with a ~5/16" bit; once at each side of the slot so you destroy both sets of wafers & springs. (It helps to break off the chromed bezel first). After they're gone, the cylinder will turn to RUN, and you can press the little button (like normal), releasing the cylinder from the column without ever drilling near something you're NOT gonna replace anyway.Elmo's suggestion assumes you break the keyed end of the cylinder off (not easy or likely) and then rip out the washer & snap ring. There's no need for that kind of destruction. You might as well just replace the column now & save yourself the drilling & fighting..."
Source: by Steve83 at Ford Bronco Zone Forums http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18471

1 - 4 of 4 Posts