Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i need your help. I have an 89 Bronco with an 8" Skyjacker Suspension lift as you can tell by my information. Anyways i'm still running 31's with the stock gear ratios. I need to know what size new gear ratios i need to push 35's without too much strain on my old 302 and sucking up all my gas. I have an AOD tranny if that helps. I've been told 4.10 and 4.56 gears and can't decide what to choose from. I need to know a good brand of gears to buy also. Any techniques on figuring out the new speedometer gear i need will also be greatly appreciated. Thanks for everyone's time! bye.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
First of all welcome to the site!:rebelflag This topic has been drilled to death and there seams to be a bunch of different opinions with most leaning toward 4:56. A good resource for all your questions including where to get good gears is Randy's Ring & Pinion The tech # is: (425)348-9002. Great bunch of guys, they'll hook you up! Once again, welcome to the best Bronco resource on the web!:beer

P.S. Check out the Dixie forum!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Why the sense of urgency?

4.56 to be back to stock like gearing. You could also go 4.88. 4.10 is to high for 35s and a 302.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
Maybe he needs it done to wheel this week-end...:shrug Hell it's always urgent when it comes to the Bronk:twak Thats why us fantatics are logged on here all hours of the day and night...:toothless

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
I sugest going higher than 4.56
4.56 is slightly under the stock gearing.
But you now got larger meats and the 302 is a high rever.
With the AOD you'd be happier and you wouldn't be higher than 2500RPM on the highway.
I know you've never been above 2750RPM anyway. :goodfinge

·
Registered
245 Posts
Blaze said:
Maybe he needs it done to wheel this week-end...:shrug Hell it's always urgent when it comes to the Bronk:twak Thats why us fantatics are logged on here all hours of the day and night...:toothless
I would just be very certain about a decision before spending that kind of $$$. :twak

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
That's why I pointed him toward Randy's,...they'll hook you up right. Great bunch of guys..:thumbup

Hey, Fireguy...play nice with the newbie or we won't let you come out and play with them any more....:toothless

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
Can't play nice :goodfinge

2750 is almost 100MPH
Lets just say my top speed was just under 90MPH with my old 302 and AOD. My 351 can't get over 110MPH @ 3000RPM with the AOD holding me back.

So I doubt any noob with a 302/AOD has been over 2500RPM but I gave him 250 just to be nice. I sugest the higer gearing, it would be more fun to drive and the highway RPM would still be great

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
Just did the math for 4.88 / 35" with the AOD's 4th gear which is 0.667

2000RPM = 64MPH
2500RPM = 80MPH
3000RPM = 95MPH

Fast enough for any normal person :beer

1 - 12 of 12 Posts