Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one morning I get in my perfectly running 89 bronco and the symptoms start. truck idles up then wont stay running. give the throttle and it keeps power but sounds like its missing. I replaced the pugs, wires, dist. cap, and rotor. also replaced the inline fuel filter. after starting it with the new plugs nothing changed.strong smell of gas under the hood. Could it be the coil? I'm at a loss and would greatly appreciate any feedback.:smilie_slap

·
Registered
457 Posts
See if you got fuel in the oil also check the compression and the time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am a new owner and mine was doing the same thing and I was on my way home, from work, last week and it just died as if it. wasn't geting fuel. I pulled off of the road and open the hood to find a fire. I am not a machanic so I don't know the names of all the different parts but there is a silver flex-hose that starts back near the firewall and it leads to the bottom of the exhuast manifold. I bought a new lenght of flex-hose and when I tried to replace the old one I found that the fire damaged the bottom of the manifold so I to replace this as well.

Any idea why this happened?

·
Forward Some Money
5,050 Posts
one morning I get in my perfectly running 89 bronco and the symptoms start. truck idles up then wont stay running. give the throttle and it keeps power but sounds like its missing. I replaced the pugs, wires, dist. cap, and rotor. also replaced the inline fuel filter. after starting it with the new plugs nothing changed.strong smell of gas under the hood. Could it be the coil? I'm at a loss and would greatly appreciate any feedback.:smilie_slap
did the CEL (check engine light) come on?

one possibility is the IAC

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sounds similar to mine when I needed a transmission filter a few weeks ago. It would idle...rpms between 600 - 800 in "P", as soon as I shifted to "R" without lots of gas, it would die, and several times it died when I came to a stop at a stopsign or stoplight while in "D".

And it happened all pretty quick. One day it was running great, then within 4 or 5 days it all went to hell. I had also just done a tune up with all the stuff you mentioned not to long ago.

It's probably a good thing to change if you dont know when it was last done anyway. They say every 10000 miles. This was the first time I've EVER changed one...and I put at least 40000 miles on my truck since I bought it, couldn't tell ya when it was done before that..

Did you pull codes yet?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am also new to Bronco's I have had and currently still own other Fords..
But non with a Gen IV computer. I am not having a stalling issue or fire... I am getting the Check engine light come on but it does not stay on and I can not seem to get a code off of it. It idles a little rough not too bad. The Check light comes on after I been driving for about 15-20 minute but it blinks on and off nothing steady 5-10 secs max before it goes out again. Any advise would be great. I change all the fluids, except the trans... I have change the Plugs, Wires, Rotor, PCV, O2 sensor, and Fuel filter that is on the frame.

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
bronc89ner:
Is your BKO an EFI....? If so, stop guessing and "Pull Codes" from the PCM and see what the truck is actually doing! :banghead

There are numerous threads on how to "pull codes" and diagnose problems, one of which is using the "search" tool directly above.

This way you don't wind up duplicating any topic already covered and waste time. Don't just throw money at a problem until you've exhausted all diagnostic approaches and pick up a Haynes Manual if you don't have one. :doh0715:

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Have had the same problem with mine. Also new wires, plugs, cap, rotor, iac, tps, fuel filter, air filter. Cleaned throttle body and upper intake. Ended up being an second bad tps(throttle position sensor). But clean or replace the IAC (idle air controller). Also clean your throttle body. These things should help. Also just a word of advice. Disconect battery when working on electronics. that stuff should help.

·
Registered
85 Posts
landtortise89:
That is what I am thinking my maybe.... the TPS or the IAC.... These Gen IV modules are harder then I would figure... But oh well... It's a learning curve. Well I decided to test it one more time.... This time I did get a few codes 81...84...32...33... and I beleive 328 but not 100% sure all looks like issues with the EGR and EVP sensor...

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
These codes are from ford fuel injection.com library:

32 PFE - voltage failure
33 EVP- voltage failure

81 is your MAP sensor "manifold absolute pressure" black looking plastic and it's located on the right inside fender and has a vacuum line and elec connector.

84 is EGR Vacuum -The valve is located right up next to the Throttle Body and has a diaphram inside it and a sensor on top with a vacuum line on top.

I don't think you can get 3 digit codes if you're getting 2 digit codes IIRC
328 is the same as 33 EVP

Start with the MAP sensor then move on etc. a vacuum leak in the system will feel like a miss, like a code 44 thermactor air system fault (emissons) changing the air stream from up to down PITA.

Definatley "search" more too ~

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

1 - 13 of 13 Posts