Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my first day of work starts in about an hour, i cant be late, well i went to go start my truck and it doesnt turn over. its reallly cold here and its never done it before. it will turn to ON and the fuel pump will pump and all the electrical stuff works but when i crank it nothing happens, all i hear is a click noise behind the right side dash in front of the passenger seat. its only one click, then i repeat it and still nothing?
help please

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Battery might be dead. Did you jump it yet? OR DID you try jumping the starter relay under the hood? (Click sound is most likely your starter relay)

EDIT!: IF you jump the starter relay, put a jumper wire on the "S" terminal and then jump that to the POSITIVE POST on the battery...if it doesn't start and still clicks I would say bad connection OR Dead battery

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no i dont have another car to jump with....all i have is a little 12 volt battery charger....i get outta school at 2:05 and i gott a be there at 2:30 ..wuld thta be enough time to charge

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Depends on how low the battery is on power. Doesn't your battery charger have a start option? OR Dont you have someone that could drop by and give you a jump?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its an e40d
and no my battery charger has a 6volt and 12 volt setting......
its never done this before it worked just fine last night
on my battery guage....the battery reads a little bit below normal

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Try simply removing the battery terminals and cleaning the posts and terminals real good. A layer of grey oxide builds up betwen teh two and I've seen many, many times where it finally causes the connection to suddenly 'break' instantly as the conduction across the interface cannot handle the load of the starter. I don't mean it slows down..it goes from 'working fine' to practically nothing..in one 'click' of the solenoid.

Note: That grey oxide gives the appearance of a clean connection sometimes..not the same as the white dusty corrosion that appears on the outside of the teminals. Fools many folks at first glance.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
check and make sure you battery terminals are on secure and tight. also make sure they are good to go. jump the post on the starter relay with a screwdriver and see if that starts it. if not call your boss and tell him you are in a pickle and am looking for someone to jump your truck

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ive checked them out....thye are connected well....
i think its my battery..becuase my guage in the dash reads below normal....
it rain last night and it all frove everywhere...could that have something to with it?

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Well, as guessed before, if you know your connections are good EVERYWHERE, I would say your battery may be dead. I wouldn't use the in dash volt gauge as a diagnostic tool personally. Its really sounding like a dead battery at this point.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alright...the starter is pretty small and is located below the engine right?

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Or just a simple starter solinoid (on the fender) Same thing happened to me last winter. Replaced it and it fired right up.

Your cables might be going. I don't know where your at, but it could be time for some new cables if your in the rust/salt/cold as hell belt.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Follow the thick wire off of the starter relay down to the starter. Its not to small but its not huge either. It should be on the passenger side.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
good thats where the click noise is coming from....well im in class right now but i will deffinetly check that first after i try to start it again.

·
not banned
5,969 Posts
amigo, put your lights in the "on" position. try to turn the engine over with the ignition. IF the lights dim/almost go out => battery. IF they stay rather bright => look elsewhere.
mj

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
another thing...when the engine clicks...the rpm meter goes up about a half centimeter but its not cranking. and no i dont remember if the lights dimmed or not. i know thye worked....along with the radio and dash lights and headlights and tailights

·
not banned
5,969 Posts
in my experience, these starters go bad, when its hot (they do go bad at other times too) and batteries go bad when its cold .... just an observation / thumb rule.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts