Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting overwhelmed here! A few weeks ago I posted on here my problem about my 94 (5.8) Bronco's speedometer not working along with a problem my shifting had, it reved up real high before it slammed into the next gear. Everyone on here said it was a simple fix and said it was the VSS. Well I had the VSS replaced and it did not fix it. I talked to a trusted Ford mechanic and he said there is a wire that will sometimes get cut that relays the info from the VSS to the motor. So as I was getting on getting that looked at, my Fuel pump went out, or atleast I think it was the fuel pump. I go to start it and it just turns over, it started once for a few seconds but than died. There is also no noise from the fuel pump when i turn the key half way. It has to be the fuel pump right??? So my question is, how easy is it to get to the fuel pump and change it? My dad said on his Blazer it was as simple as lifting up the carpet in the back... I wonder if anyone knows the best way of switching the fuel pump? Any help is appreciated. Please dumb it down as much as possible for me. I change my own oil/starters/break pads and other simple things like that, but not much more. Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think the only way to get to the fuel pump is to drain the gas tank and put a jack under it and unbolt it. Then just lower it down with the jack. I did my 94 and it wasn't that bad. I think as soon as I could get my hand between the body and the tank I had to disconnect the vent tube because it didn't have a lot of slack but it was really easy and I did it by myself.

·
Registered
4,913 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
After draining the tank, (I use an old inline 12 v fuel pump) it's pretty simple to drop the skid plate, drop the fuel tank, disconnect the filler hose, and disconnect the fuel lines. You'll need to invest $10.00 in a fuel line disconnect tool set. Once the tank is sitting on the ground, use a hammer and flat screwdriver to loosen the retaining collar that holds the sender/pump assembly in place. Once the collar is removed, pull out the sending unit/pump assembly.

To test the pump, apply 12 volts to the pump.

While you have the sending unit out, clean the rheostat contact surfaces.

Have a replacement sending unit -to- tank gasket on hand as the original one is usually brittle and falls apart. Also, the strainer net usually falls apart when you're taking it out of the tank. Use care and twist the assembly and work it out of the tank so that you don't damage the strainer any more than necessary. I'd replace the strainer even if the old pump turns out to be ok.

You can easily remove, repair, and re-install the tank in 3 hours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts