Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey im trying to paint my bronco but every time i attempt it i end up getting lines in my paint. it looks and feels like every time i do another line i cover the one above in overspray. small parts look great but the roof and hood look awfull. i dont know if this is normal and im just susposed to colorsand and buff or what. any advice would be help full.

i am using a hvlp gun and its not a cheap one.Also im using a small 15 gallon air compressor it runs constantly but it never really gets under 75 psi could this cause a shortage of air and dust my paint? i have a regulator and keep it set pretty close to what the paint calls for

I have the spray pattern alittle pit more than half way open or wide whatever what is the best to do there.

how much are u susposed to overlap each time could this cause the overspray or could i be to far away each time

basiclly what i need to know is what would cause the paint to overspray each previous line and why it leaves stripes

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Too many possible answers, too little information given. How's your spray pattern? Are you using an HVLP, or a spray can? HVLP - is your air pressure correct? Tip clean? Proper preparation, according to the paint used? More questions can be asked, but we'd still need as much info as you can think of. In fact, list it all, step by step, on how've gotten to the point you have now

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Like David said, not enough info.
But here, read this it might help.

·
Registered
402 Posts
What are you talking about, Lines?

·
Registered
402 Posts
I don't get that, why wouldn't you have the hood on when you paint? and what does that have to do with lines? If you mean areas where you can see topography from underneath, you need to use surfacer on the rig , wet sand it down w/360 or so AFTER it has shrunk up for a few days, but I will say that a 15 gal compr is way too small. I ran 140 gal and a 5hp. You should use a 60 gal home depot unit at least, however the problems you're describing sound like prep issues.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
You also get lines when you spray with metallics, making the last coat crucial. I don't think he is talking about a prep issue. I see you went to the school of wet sanding primer as well, LukeNukem. :doh0715:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah they are not prep issues its just overlaping lines. i painted some more today with yellow and it turned out great but when i do black it came out awfull.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Ahh! I think I know what you mean. Metallics like to "tiger stripe" unless you even out the flakes with the last coat. Usually this is from pressure/spray pattern issues. Yes, yellow is way more forgiving. I rarely shoot single stage metallics because you're always caught between nice flake application and good gloss. Too wet and the flake slides and "streaks". Too dry and you have flat paint. Maybe because you have your gun adjusted down to compensate for the lack of air supply you are shooting too close and sharp and therefore getting a "line" with every pass. It helps to use a little slower reducer so the passes flow together better before they tack up.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
LukeNukem said:
Ahh! I think I know what you mean. Metallics like to "tiger stripe" unless you even out the flakes with the last coat. Usually this is from pressure/spray pattern issues. Yes, yellow is way more forgiving. I rarely shoot single stage metallics because you're always caught between nice flake application and good gloss. Too wet and the flake slides and "streaks". Too dry and you have flat paint. Maybe because you have your gun adjusted down to compensate for the lack of air supply you are shooting too close and sharp and therefore getting a "line" with every pass. It helps to use a little slower reducer so the passes flow together better before they tack up.
The way I was taught to spray metalics is change directions after every coat. Plus after your last coat, you hold the spray gun about 2' away going a diferent direction from the last coat, and spray a medeum coat like that. This is a good way to eliminate the tiger stripe, but it also makes it so the metal flakes are closer to the top of the finish. This isn't always the desired effect though.

·
Dead Horse
5,935 Posts
ooh, are u talking about when u spray, u go back a forth and u overlap half of what u already painted. i think u need to back off witht he spray gun some

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
i think you are putting to thick of a coat on. when i paint the first coat looks more like a quick pass than anything else. i paint all the time, where you paint one thic k coat shuld actually be three or four then ones. also are you buffing/light sanding between coats?

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
broncobaddass69 said:
you just can't paint worth a shit that's all i got to say bout that
Excellent point, way to make a dick out of yourself on the first post. Troll.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts