Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe you guys can point me in the right direction on a weird problem the wife's '93 had today. We stop at the store, I kill the truck, and when I come back out and try to start it nothing happens. I mean nothing, no clicking of solenoid, no idiot lights, nothing. Trying to figure out if its the ignition or not I turn on the headlights = nothing, try the rear window = nothing, heck even look up and no dome light. Being my wifes truck I had no multimeter, tools, or even jumper cables so couldn't really trouble shoot. I called a buddy to come pick me and my stranded family up and while waiting, pop the hood a look for anything weird. My battery cables don't look the best, but I've had worse, and 2 weeks ago doing some routine maintenance I removed the terminals, cleaned 'em up nice, retightened and greased so I'm pretty confident the connection is good. While I'm staring blankly at the truck (about 10 minutes have passed) my wife reaches over, turns the key and it fires right up. It didn't sound weak at all, talking fast crank and vroom! Anyways now that its running I get home and check a few things, battery good, alternator good, etc. Now I am just worried that I'll only be able to troubleshoot it if it happens again but I don't want it to die while my wife's on the freeway or anything. So, my question is aside from replacing the battery cables, is there anything else I should check out (maybe starter solenoid) or anything. I tried searching but couldn't find much on total power loss. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanx!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Check your ground from the engine to the body. Just because you got a good connection on the battery, doesn't mean your circuit is completing. Definately sounds like a grounding issue though. Get under there and clean contact points, bolts, replace any grounds that are suspicious looking (or at least check the resistance of them)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well it's stranded again :cry went to go get new tires and now its dead. I got power at the battery and power to the solenoid (on fender) but when you turn key to crank, volts drop off to less than 2. I also found that the wires going into the starter, that the whole assy is loose. not sure if my problem may be in there. Still, have no power to anything which makes me lean more towards a ground. my connection from the neg cable to the frame looks good as do the body grounds. but a closer look at the cables shows they are pretty ugly. The guy at the tire place said on one of the attempts to start and we got a click he said he saw a bit of smoke looking like it came from the battery positive. Went to parts store and got new cables and starter, will see what happens.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
sounds pretty close to what happeded to me, the wire from my battery to the starter was grounding out on the frame. this may not be the same as your problem but worth a try. I coulndn't see mine until i disconnected it from the stater and pulled it up and it looked like this

again this may not be what your problem is but it sounds close to what mine was, hope it helps

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, just to update, I went and had a local battery shop make me some new positive and negative battery cables and installed those. My positive cable at the terminal was definately screwed. I also went ahead and replaced the starter since the solenoid was moving around. Got everything put back in and its started great about a dozen times now so hopefully problem is fixed. I was still baffled as to why I had power at the fender solenoid at the connector that supplies power to the cab but couldn't get anything to work. maybe I had the volts but not the amps required to run stuff, not sure, not an electrical whiz. anyway thanx for the replies and hopefully problem is fixed!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a very similar problem on my boy's 91 bronco. I figured out that there is another hot wire comming from the relay on the fender that goes into the main wire harness and it was broken inside the insulation. Sometimes it waould make contact and sometimes it wouldn't. Just like you described, nothing would work. Just something else to check. Good luck

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
That sounds almost exactly like the problem I had. All that was wrong was the cables from the battery to the starter solinoid was loose (the bolt was only about halfway down) so that caused the starter solinoid to not get a good contact as well as everything else not getting a good contact since everything goes off the solinoid not the battery. You mentioned your cable goign to your starter is loose. You should check all your connections from/to your starter solinoid cause if the truck isn't doing anything with power (not even dome light) it's more than a loose starter cable. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
153 Posts
fusible link, in the supply line from the relay? sometimes they will meltdown inside thyre insulation and reconnect when cooled down.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Aaron Sandberg- Yes it is a fusible link. My son had that exact same problem. Replaced the fusible link and no more problems.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well if the problem returns, I'll be sure to look into this fuseable link. still no problems yet, I really think it was the battery cable that did it. after I got it in my garage from the tire place i moved the positive cable up and down (at the terminal) and tried it and it fired up. I then killed it, wiggled it some more but would still fire up. I then ignored trying to start it, turned on my headlights, they made a quick flash, then evrything was dead again. after removing the cable a close look showed that only half (if that) of the wires at the termainal were still connected and corrosion was falling out of them. hopefully its now cured but who knows.......time will tell. Thanx for the help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts