Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all. The Prarie City meet and greet turned into a total repair fest. My rig did well till it was time to head home. After over heating, I ran into battery problems. Long story short, the my battery is dead and I had to leave my rig at a truck stop in Dixon. :twak It was going to cost $250-350 to have it towed back to Benicia. :cry

Is there anybody out there who has a trailor who'd be willing to give me a tow back to my house. It's roughly 40mi from Dixon to Benicia. I'd pay for gas and beers. :beer

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
do you know anyone with a truck? You could rent a u-haul trailer or like someone in the other thread said, a dolly.

If you rent a trailer or find a trailer and need a truck, i MIGHT be able to help, but not until this weekend which is a long time for that baby to sit.

Why not grab the parts you need and try to repair it there? Sounds like you just need a battery or alternator, or both. Both are easy to fix in teh field.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
The more I think about it, the more I believe it's the alternator. I recommend taking the battery and alt to autozone and test them tomorrow. Before you buy this could save you money.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I'm betting the alternator got smoke checked in the mud pit. I reckon I can pick up a new one from PepBoys today and have my wife drive me up there. Fun times with the repair, seeing as I'm a noob and this...

·
Registered
372 Posts
If you had a fully charged battery, I would be willing to bet that you could drive the truck back 40 miles in the day light as long as you don't have an electric cooling fan.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Yeah, I'm betting the alternator got smoke checked in the mud pit. I reckon I can pick up a new one from PepBoys today and have my wife drive me up there. Fun times with the repair, seeing as I'm a noob and this...
Alt. are easy. 2 bolts, some connectors, and the belt. You may have to cut and crimp connectors (I did on my 90), but most likely not.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I drove a truck around for weeks with a bad alt.I just had two batteries that I would switch one on the charger and one in the truck.I would switch them everynight and no night driving,radio,lights ,electric fan anything like that and it would last all day the less starting the better.

If you get it started disconnect the battery if it dies then your alt. isnt charging.

·
Official FSB beer drinker
1,534 Posts
that sucks buddy. Hopefully you get it home tonight. What a rough weekend for bronco's between you, me, justin and foolsize. All bad.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
will it start and run at all?
No, tried jumping it on the freeway and got nothing. All of his interior lights cut out and external lights all dimmed. I think he just ran the battery dead. I checked that battery had plenty of water, but only showed 8 volts across the posts.

·
Official FSB beer drinker
1,534 Posts
It's probably the alt. You should be able to run without a battery if the alt is good. 3G!!!!!

·
the bruise
1,401 Posts
yeah just charge it up, throw it in there and drive it home. a new alt is not that expensive, especially considering the amount your about to throw down on towing and stuff.

alt's are about the easiest thing to change in your vehicle. other than the obvious things.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got it home fellas. An hour wrenching and a new alternator and I was back on the road. No more battery problems. My overheating problem is still an issue though. I had to make a stop on the way back to hose down the radiator and get things cooled off. So that's the next project - figure out what's up with the overheating.

·
Registered
273 Posts
First thing you want to look at as far as the over heating goes is hose the shit out of your radiator.. Keep running water over it until no more mud comes out from between the fins.. If theres mud on it then it wont cool.. After that, then you can start looking at the expensive things..

·
Registered
92 Posts
yeah that's true if no air can get thru your radiator then it can't cool.I seen the pics looked like you dived into some mud could of plugged it up.wish I could of went.

·
Registered
339 Posts
If you still have problems after cleaning the mud out, check the thermostat. Pretty common for those to wear out and stick closed, and it's a cheap easy fix.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
when does it overheat? does it overheat all the time or when you sit still? what kinda fan do you have a shroud?
It overheats all the time (new developement since turning my rig into a mud boat :rockon ). The water hoses at the gas station have little pressure, so I couldn't effectively blast the mud out. Just knock off the surface stuff. And like Chexmix said, the condensor made it next to impossible to clean the radiator. Even on the freeway, doing 65-70, it overheated.

I spent quite a bit of time yesterday afternoon hosing off the radiator with my house hose. It still needs work though - since I didn't want to spray the engine and damage the block (it was way hot!). Now that the truck has had a hose down, I can try spraying the radiator again and see what kind of mud comes off it. I have a sneaking suspision though that I may need to pull the condensor so I can get a clear shot with the hose. More maintenance...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts