Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 F450 7.3 powerstroke, 4R100 transmission, Lift truck (cherrypicker, boom truck, etc)

The other night he drove to a telephone pole line to do some aerial work. Did the work on the first pole, reversed back couple hundred feet to the pole prior to it, worked, reversed back same to next pole. When he went to leave he had no forward, just reverse. He says when he puts it into drive from Park, the engine RPM's drop down like it should, but when the pedal is pressed it doesn't move. He has not experienced any issues with the transmission since he bought the truck new. Now this is a very heavy truck, 13,400 lbs, 130,000 miles. He hated to admit it, but he hasn't ever serviced the transmission. He pulled the pan a little while ago, doesn't see anything noticeable in it, he is going to take it to a mechanic friend of his and let him look at the contents.

I need to help him get this thing back up and working ASAP. This is how he makes a living, and he can't afford to miss out on much work (not that any of us can).

I would really appreciate any help our guidance anyone can give me. I will be checking back periodically today. I am going to start working on it tomorrow, supposed to rain today, and it doesn't fit in most garages because of its extra height.

·
LS Swap Everything!
26,232 Posts
Sounds like the forward planetary gear took a dive. Or "drum" as it's sometimes called by chebby idiots.

Kind of odd, considering the 4R100's strength... But stranger things have happened.

I suppose it could be an MLPS issue, but I doubt it.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We started pulling it last night, got about 4 bolts into it before the downpour came. Figures. Thanks for the response Red. What is the MLPS? Going to finish pulling it today and take it to a transmission shop. One nice thing about working on this newer truck, the bolts are only about half as rusted in as my Bronco.

·
LS Swap Everything!
26,232 Posts
Dale's dead on. Search it, the 4R100 is very closely related to the E4OD we have in our bronco and F series trucks. Infact, some parts are backwards compatible. Although the 4R100 parts are stronger, period (steel vs. aluminum).

Best of luck to you, hope the Trans shop doesn't fawk your wallet...

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is the final outcome. So we got the transmission pulled and to a transmission shop. Guy worked on it, replaced some bands, tested it but couldn't figure out what was wrong. So I suggested replacing the MLPS, lo and behold, thats what it was. Thanks guys for your help and suggestions on that one. Just wish we had tried the MLPS before we pulled the tranny, that thing is heavy. Luckily I thought to use a motorcycle jack I had to put it back in, made things much easier. Got it in and everything put back together. Truck is moving fine now.
The transmission bill only ended up being 250.00, I don't know the complete details, but that seemed cheap for the time he spent on it.
Thanks again Red and 79F150!

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Glad its back and working. Now let this be a lesson to you. If your income relies on a vehicle (or whatever it may be) working, make it #1 priority to service it regularly. If my truck doesn't drive, I'm out of business, so the first sign of a problem it gets taken care of. I've seen too many people **** themself by not maintaining what brings the income in. Perfect example is yesterday I was doing some work at a bar fixing a refrigeration unit that quit. Because he didn't get the problem taken care of 6 months ago when the noise started, now it turned in to a major problem and the owner now has to go 4 or 5 days with no refrigeration. Whose going to go to the bar for warm beer? I told him if he got the problem taken care of 6 months ago it would have been a $100 fix and the unit would have never even warmed up. Now he's looking at $2000 plus, not to mention how much business he is going to loose out on untill I can get all the obsolete parts rounded up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts