Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have to check to see which one my truck currently has. Is the $100 Motocraft ICM worth the difference in price vs a Delphi?

Refer to this thread: Ford TFI Ignition Control Modules

Remote Mount Black CCD "Computer Controlled Dwell" ICM

Motorcraft
- DY1077 (supercedes DY679, DY667, DY645)
Ford - 5U2Z-12A297-D (supercedes F1PZ-12A297-A)
Wells - F139
Niehoff - FF413
BWD - CBE40
Standard - LX-241
NapaEchlin - TP29
Delphi - DS10056
Transpo - FM544

·
Registered
2006 Lincoln Navigator
1,604 Posts
Highly suggested to use a Motorcraft ICM. Aftermarket versions tend to have short service lives. Personally I have used a Delphi several years ago with no issues.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
You are most likely right. I'm hoping the new oem Motorcraft MAP sensor fixes my high idle issue. I had purchased and installed a $16 aftermarket MAP sensor 2-3 years ago, although it fixed my high idle issue then, I have a feeling it is toast now for being a cheap replacement part. After I get my 126 code sorted, I'll move on to the ICM issue. Btw, being a 1994, I should have the fender mounted ICM, correct? Also, do you have a part number to the special tool I need to remove it from the fender?

Highly suggested to use a Motorcraft ICM. Aftermarket versions tend to have short service lives. Personally I have used a Delphi several years ago with no issues.

·
Registered
2006 Lincoln Navigator
1,604 Posts
Reactions: hcoll

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
My truck’s high idle problem was the MAP sensor. I installed the new FoMoCo one and she’s idling around 700rpms again. At first it was missing with the new MAP sensor but it smoothed out, is that normal? The old Amazon MAP sensor had water in it.

Next step is to look at the ICM and swap it out.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
You are most likely right. I'm hoping the new oem Motorcraft MAP sensor fixes my high idle issue. I had purchased and installed a $16 aftermarket MAP sensor 2-3 years ago, although it fixed my high idle issue then, I have a feeling it is toast now for being a cheap replacement part. After I get my 126 code sorted, I'll move on to the ICM issue. Btw, being a 1994, I should have the fender mounted ICM, correct? Also, do you have a part number to the special tool I need to remove it from the fender?
As you have a '94, you should have a BLACK ICM. If you have a code reader, you will get a code 212 (a memory code). The wrong ICM will NOT trigger a Check Engine Light.

The tool is below:
64650 Ignition Module Wrench for Ford

Reactions: rla2005 and hcoll

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I ordered the black motorcraft ICM, we shall see if it clears my 212 code. The CEL is gone after I replaced the MAP sensor. My truck is having problems starting. I turn the key to “run” and hear no clicks and no flickering of the instrument cluster. I have to cycle the key from “off” to run several times before it randomly starts. Any suggestions?

As you have a '94, you should have a BLACK ICM. If you have a code reader, you will get a code 212 (a memory code). The wrong ICM will NOT trigger a Check Engine Light.

The tool is below:
64650 Ignition Module Wrench for Ford

Reactions: rla2005

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I ordered the black motorcraft ICM, we shall see if it clears my 212 code. The CEL is gone after I replaced the MAP sensor. My truck is having problems starting. I turn the key to “run” and hear no clicks and no flickering of the instrument cluster. I have to cycle the key from “off” to run several times before it randomly starts. Any suggestions?
After you get the new ICM, pull the SPOUT and check the timing. There is a chance that the PO timed it with the wrong ICM, and now that you will have the right ICM, the PCM will advance the timing. The timing should be 10° BTDC. Your truck will run much better with the correct ICM.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts