Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i messed up my axle about two weeks ago 8.8.. where the center section connects to the tubes.. the tubes rotated about half inch so my leaf springs where sitting way off and my drive shaft had a weird angle. so couldn't go hi speeds..so on my budget i was panicking and looking for a cheap way out..:cry

found a 8.8 housing in good condition on C/L for 50 bucks figured yeah ill just swap my insides over to that one and problem fixed...:rockon well i ended up doing the swap two days hard work. but no abs/speed sensor.. the 8.8 was from an older model.:duh. I asked a buddy of mine who's a certified mechanic and he said yeah it'll work the tranny should have a speed sensor..:twak no speed sensor on my '93 e40d..searched and searched.. it drives, just shifts real hard..

i know there's many options for the fix but very low budget...:whiteflag

what i think would be the lowest amount of money spent would be to have some one weld my original 8.8 back to specs (if thats even possible) pretty much rotate the tubes back to the original position then weld the tube in place even add a truss...then since i have so much time in my hands i,ll do the axle swap back to my old 8.8 already welded and trussed..;)

i don't know how to weld or fab or anything like that so hoping some one here can help me find a good welder to do this... or themselfs i,m in the so cal area,, los angeles county

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah was thinking of drilling it or my cover ,, but dont think my skills are good enough for something like that

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
yeah was thinking of drilling it or my cover ,, but dont think my skills are good enough for something like that
if your skills are lacking for this then you should not have swapped the gears over. you already have a good chance that you have ruined them

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if your skills are lacking for this then you should not have swapped the gears over. you already have a good chance that you have ruined them

you know what maybe.. but so far they seem fine.. taking stuff apart and putting it back together is easy when everything is aligned its the cutting, drilling, and welding I'm not good at

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cal Pre-Fun Sells a transfer case mount vss and tone ring setup for the guys that swap to 9 inches but I think it's pricey.

hey bb33 looked up cal pre-fun and yeah way out range for my budget... also you can put a speed sensor on the e40d,, but you have to rebuild it and put parts in from the older e40d with no abs stuff,, but rebuilding my tranny is way out of my range right now,,

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
you know what maybe.. but so far they seem fine.. taking stuff apart and putting it back together is easy when everything is aligned its the cutting, drilling, and welding I'm not good at
one axle housing to the next is generally not the same and needs the gears to be setup properly to ensure a long life. So it's a crap shot similar to going to vegas, you can win or you can loose.

·
Official FSB beer drinker
1,534 Posts
I'd be tempted to find the right 8.8 oncraigslist or something. They truley are a dime a dozen and since yours is still good, you could sell it for the majority of the what the correct one sells for.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
x2 I wish you lived closer I have one I'd nearly give you it's all there with the VSS included.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'd get a shop to do it either way you choose. welding the tubes to the centersection is tricky because they're two different types of metal and may promote leaks (use nycore 55 wire). Also, you may have stretched the housing on the old axle. Also if you weld them, they might not be straight!

Or, go the easy route shadofax and I used on our dana 60 rear axle swaps and drill (or mill) a hole in the rear axle (a drill bit and a valve seat cutter work great). This is also tricky though because you have to mount the vss at the correct distance from the tone ring in order for it to pick up the correct signal. Shadofax wrote up a thread on doing exactly this, sorry I'm too lazy to find it for you. Good luck!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks you guys for the help/ advise,, was thinking about drilling it.. but 75f350 hooked it up with an 8.8 with the vss and he welded the tubes to the center section so now all i need is to take it apart again and put it back togehter using the one with the vss..cool

1 - 13 of 13 Posts