Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Ford F150, 302ci, 4x4, 4 speed manual w/overdrive, manual transfercase and hubs. 2dr shortbox.
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, young lad here just getting into trucks, looking to do a SAS on my 1990 ford F150 4x4. I currently have acquired a rolling frame with the drivetrain aswell. The frame I'm told is a 1977 Ford F250, i belive it has a dana 44HD low pinion, leaf spring, up front and a dana 60 in the rear. Also has the divorced transfercase driven by a 4 speed manual mated to a 360Fe block.

Looking for as much help as I can get with instructions on the swap, best way to go about it, and WHAT PARTS SHOULD I ORDER NOW. Looking to run leafs all around, swap both axels from the rolling chassis into my F150, and I'd like to run 14wide 35s.
Many thanks!

·
Super Moderator
29,116 Posts
Yo Lad,
Welcome!
The SAS Team will chime in soon, so to bump your question up, here's:
1990 Truck/Bronco Pre-Delivery Shop & Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manuals (EVTM), Partial by member Kingfish999 in Google Drive @ 1990 Ford Truck service manuals - Google Drive
&
1990 Ford Truck Emmisions Manual.pdf by Ford via member 90.CaliBronco in Google Drive @ 1990 Ford Truck Emmisions Manual.pdf
Suggest you download both for faster scrolling and to use the table of contents index and Search function.

1990 Ford F Series (Brochure) @ lov2xlr8.no

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf via member BroncMom!

For any issues or to chat about it's issues or planned changes, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories that requires 50 non-padded posts to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members.

See How to add your Signature @ Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum by BigBlue 94

Our Forum FAQs includes for example, How To: Upload Images To Posts, Search and more tips!

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) ... includes such as, "Suspension -TTB & SAS (Also See Lifts", etc.

Try to find time to participate and vote in our current Full-Size of the Month Contest & later in the year, Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing. Prizes are awarded to winners; a full spread in Bronco Driver Magazine is the top prize, in addition to a years subscription, once the article is submitted and a years worth of premium FSB membership.
Al

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,355 Posts
Pics of donor required!

Best bet is to look into a reverse shackle kit for using superduty leaf springs. A simple google search of RSK will find them.

The low pinion d44 is not very desired, but at least its an 8 lug version! Pics of it and the rear D60 will help.

The trans can be swapped to another bellhousing and run if you want. But it must use the divorced transfer case which is likely an NP205. They are tough as nails and desirable in married and divorced models.

·
Registered
1990 Ford F150, 302ci, 4x4, 4 speed manual w/overdrive, manual transfercase and hubs. 2dr shortbox.
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These are the best photos I have of the front axel Assembly, unfortunately no photos of the rear axle or transfer case yet.
I remember the gentleman I bought the donor truck from saying that the transfer case was a 202 or something, perhaps he said 205.. both my truck and the donor have manual transmissions so I believe I should have enough parts to run a divorced set up in my truck is that is what's desirable.
What is the purpose of the shackle kit you speak of? What needs to be done to put this front axle into my truck? What lift should I run once the sas is completed to fit the 35s under it.
Also looks as though the new dana 60 rear axle will bolt right up to my truck, is this the case?
Many many thanks, Ben

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,355 Posts
Ok so thats a low pinion, open knuckle D44. And those tires are nice! Not the better high pinion, but not the crappy closed knuckles.

Transmission is an NP435. Granny low with no OD. Transfer case will be a modest 2:1 low range vs you 2.6 you have.

The shackle kit allows you to easily mount leaf springs to the from of your truck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can tell the transmission just from the pictures?! That's cool, but I thought this one had over drive on the shifter m, but could be wrong. What does granny low mean? Will the difference in ratios of my transfer cases be an issue for me swapping the axels? Should I convert my truck the run a divorced transfer case? Many thanks!Ben

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is that the reverse shackle kit I should order now?

·
Addicted to Junk
16,355 Posts
Is that the reverse shackle kit I should order now?
Not exactly. Get the one for superduty springs. They are way cheaper and better riding than the OBS springs.

Yes, I can tell certain transmissions by a single pic. The cast iron case with aluminum top cover is a dead giveaway that its an NP435. Very stout. Granny low means first gear has a very low ratio, which on the np435 is 6.68 to 1. This gives a huge amount of torque for getting heavy loads moving, starting uphill, offroading, etc. You will not use it for every day driving. And as i said, Youll need a smallblock ford bellhousing to use it. You said your current f150 is a manual trans? 4 speed or 5 speed?

The transfer case is likely an NP205. Does the 77 shifter have a 2wd marking? Or is it 4high Lock-4 high- N - 4 LOW- 4LOW lock? The np205 will take a beating but its low range is not as low, so Youll lose a tiny bit of torque only when in low range. The granny gear in the transmission would more than compensate.

Gotta get back to work, ill check back later

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wonderful, thanks you for your response!
My current trans if the F150 I have has 5 forward gears, 4 speed + overdrive. And the divorced transfer case in the donor truck I bleive has 2wd marking on it, it has Manuel blocking hubs on the front axel.

Should I be putting the trans and transfer case from the donor truck into my truck? Or just one or the other? Also what is all involved in doing the front axels swap? Are there any other peices I should order now? Looking to keep it as budget as possible. Also plan on perhaps building that 360 from the donor up over the winter and perhaps slapping that in the truck next year.

·
Addicted to Junk
16,355 Posts
So you have the M5R2 transmission currently. Its a good daily driver trans, but only moderate strength. I would keep it and the transfer case you have for simplicity and cheap-ness.

That RSK and springs, shocks, brakes, steering linkage, and some other bits are what you need.

I wouldnt waste my time with the 360. Sell it all off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for your response, Because I have a complete donor frame, what do I still need to source besides the RSK? I will see the 360FE if you thinks it not worth it.
Cheers, thanks you!

·
Registered
282 Posts
finishing up a 2nd leaf spring sas on a 93 f150. The Sky RSK won't work with that axle, it's designed for 36.5" leaf spring center to center width. that axle is 32 or 32.5 center to center. the Sky crossmember is .120 wall tubing which is fine as a crossmember, but too thin to use a recovery point

·
Addicted to Junk
16,355 Posts
finishing up a 2nd leaf spring sas on a 93 f150. The Sky RSK won't work with that axle, it's designed for 36.5" leaf spring center to center width. that axle is 32 or 32.5 center to center. the Sky crossmember is .120 wall tubing which is fine as a crossmember, but too thin to use a recovery point
Why not just move the spring perches?

OP, your frame and that 77 frame just dont really have any compatible parts. You basically bought it for the axles.

The other option is to use F350 spring hangers and shackles from a 87-91.

The 360 isnt junk, it would just require a lot of work, welding, wiring, fuel system, etc. The 360/390 are good engines, just antiquated. You would have to use the 77 trans and transfer case, which is more cutting and welding.

Reactions: reptillikus

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
9,010 Posts
The issue is, the spring pad width in the 70s is about 4-5" narrower than the 80s. So you move each perch out ~2". Except you cant do that on the driver side, because its cast into the diff. So youd have to build a custom one that will fit up flush against the diff, as the leaf spring will now sit partially on your leaf spring perch, and partially on the cast perch. Its not ideal.

As for the rear axle; that frame came out of a high boy, which means it has the narrow spring perch spacing for the rear axle as well. So while that axle would work under the rrear of yours, youd have to cut off and relocate the spring perches & shock mounts as well. It wont just bolt in. Also, if im not mistaken, wouldnt that be a 16 spline Dana 60 rear? Not the 30 spline. So arguably not much stronger than whats in the rear of your truck now. Swapping a Sterling 10.25 in out of a ~86-97 F250/350 would be easier, and get you a much better axle.

·
Registered
282 Posts
reptillikus beat me to the issue of the perch cast into the center section. The stats aren't updating on the sas page for this thread, maybe the OP tried to delete the thread?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts