Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gents, I'm a new Bronco owner but really love the truck. 1994 XLT, 140,000 miles, nothing special, but great for hunting, etc. It recently started to idle rough with some knocking and check engine light. Occasionally it will stop running on its own, but then start back up and run fine after a few minutes. I've figured out how to pull codes, and there were a bunch! I did both KOEO and KOER tests:

KOEO - 111, 112, 117, 122, 327, 452, 556, 634, 638
KOER - 116, 311

Any suggestions? The best I can figure out from searching the codes is that I might have trouble with the vehicle speed sensor, the fuel pump, the park/neutral posit circuit, the air system, or maybe all of the above? I don't want to start swapping out parts until I have a good idea what the issue is. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
What do all of the codes mean? Post them up for a quicker response. Did you check your timing to make sure it is good? That will throw the whole system ouy of whack. I thought you needed 30 posts here to start your own thread.

·
Registered
79 Posts
What do all of the codes mean? Post them up for a quicker response. Did you check your timing to make sure it is good? That will throw the whole system ouy of whack. I thought you needed 30 posts here to start your own thread.
You don't need 30 posts to start a thread in the noobie zone. Just the other Tech zones.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
The reason I mentioned timing is because if it is out, you will get a pinging sound. If it goes on for a long time, I am sure you will get a knocking sound :eek:. Hopefully that is not the case and your motor is allright though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's what I found for codes:
111 System checks OK
112 (O,M) Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor is/was low or grounded - IAT
116 (O,R) Engine Coolant (ECT) sensor out of range - ECT
117 (O,M) ECT sensor is/was low or grounded - ECT
122 (O,M) TP low (possibly grounded or open circuit) - TPS
311 (R) AIR system not working - Single, Right or Rear HO2S - Air Injection
327 (O,R,M) EGR feedback signal is/was low - EVR or PFE
452 (M) Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) problem
556 (O,M) Fuel pump relay primary circuit fault - Power / Fuel Pump Circuits
634 (O,M) Park/Neutral Position (PNP) or Clutch Pedal Position (CPP) circuit fault Electronic shift transmission - Manual Lever Position (MLP) sensor out of range in Park-Transmissions
638 (O,M) TOT sensor is/was low or grounded - Transmissions

I think the timing is ok, because about 3/4 of the time, when I start, the motor runs great and everything is normal. Then, when I'm driving home from work, it decides to shut down on me on the interstate (not good). After about a minute, started up again and ran ok. It did take some gas to start. Normally before it conks out, the rpms start to fluctuate high and then low. I'm thinking speed sensor based on codes above, but that's just a guess. Honestly not sure how I would check whether the air system is working. It's a 351 auto.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Look on "Bronco links", and "ford fuel injection" websites for code issues. I've never had a 351, so I am unsure of all of these codes. You can search the forum here for others who posted same issues here. It is in the highlighted blue section above, third from the right side. Personally I think you have two seperate issues 1: your air injection system, and 2: your electrical system, but I don't know. Are all of your vaccum lines o.k.?

http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=1

1 - 6 of 6 Posts