Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all did a search. Have done recent tune up with upgraded components. Timing is set at 12, gas is always 92 octane Mobil. Can the O2 sensor, FPR, or EGR cause an otherwise strong running engine to ping? Also getting poor gas mileage, is there a likely suspect. No codes or CEL. Any advise is appreciated....
 

·
Dead Horse
Joined
·
5,931 Posts
bad gas maybe? try just running 87, unless u have a performance engine. my explorer did that, and it was the mass air sensor dirty, but ure 88 has SD
 

·
Lick my balls
Joined
·
13,023 Posts
:shrug did you check your knock sensor?

JB, running a lower octane fuel would, if anything, make it worse IMO.
 

·
Dead Horse
Joined
·
5,931 Posts
waltman said:
:shrug did you check your knock sensor?

JB, running a lower octane fuel would, if anything, make it worse IMO.
this is true, but if its a stock engine, 87 should be fine
 

·
Lick my balls
Joined
·
13,023 Posts
87 octane is all I run as well. I'm just thinking it would be better to find the cause of the knock at the octane fuel he is currently using, before changing to a lower octane fuel, just in case it does knock at that lower octane.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
i could be wrong, but i heard if you are running 92 or 91 and you don't need to be, that the higher octane will create the pinging. i could be wrong though. But the same thing happened to me, so i switched to 87 and it hasn't done it since.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sorry guys, I thought that all my upgrades would be in my sig. I have Taylor spiro pros, MSD cap, rotor and coil, Autolites, K&N drop in, and timing set at 12. I use premium gas because I thought that it was better for the engine. I seafoamed the intake about two months ago, before I changed the plugs. I'm also running a Bassani Y-pipe and cat back system. My first post on the subject had a few questions that I thought were legitimate, just looking for advice from people who have already been where I am now. Thanks Guys!
 

·
Lick my balls
Joined
·
13,023 Posts
I'm just guessing about the knock sensor, of course, it's at the back of the motor more towards the pas side. I would get a metre and get out my hanes and check all my sensores, starting with the knock sensor. Don't get mad at this question, but when you adjusted the timing, did you take out the spout connector?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had the timing set at a shop that I deal with, so I can only assume that it was done correctly. I've never set timing on a vehicle myself, although it would probably be a good thing to learn.
 

·
Practicing Infidel
Joined
·
15,299 Posts
waltman said:
I'm just guessing about the knock sensor, of course, it's at the back of the motor more towards the pas side. I would get a metre and get out my hanes and check all my sensores, starting with the knock sensor. Don't get mad at this question, but when you adjusted the timing, did you take out the spout connector?
That's what I was thinking Waltman

The hamfisted Chevy mechanic who adjusted Red's timing might well have not known about his SPOUT valve.

Something is definately wrong because I run 13.5 degrees and don't rattle on 87.

Sixlitre
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,118 Posts
If the timing was set with the spout connector still connected,the the timing would be badly retarded and cause a big loss of power,not pinging.Possible badly worn timing chain,excess carbon build up in the cylinders,improperly routed plug wires(causing cross-fire)and lean fuel mixture are somethings to consider.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How does one remedy excess carbon buildup in the cylinder problems? I ran Seafoam through the intake, and didn't notice much improvement except for less mosquitoes in the immediate area.
 

·
Never ending project
Joined
·
1,084 Posts
bronco1 said:
If the timing was set with the spout connector still connected,the the timing would be badly retarded and cause a big loss of power,not pinging.Possible badly worn timing chain,excess carbon build up in the cylinders,improperly routed plug wires(causing cross-fire)and lean fuel mixture are somethings to consider.
:notworthy :stupid The carbon acts like glow plugs causing predetonation to clean it right remove the heads check the other things that bronco1 mentioned first.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top