1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please Help if you can.
I have an 89 with a 351 and a C6 all stock

My bronco will not start with the key!

I thought it was the solenoid at first because i could "bump" start it with a screwdriver. So I replaced it... still the same problem.
So I thought it was the switch on the steering column...I was wrong. I replaced that too and still nothing.

I am thinking that it is a bad wire or connector that goes between the switch and the solenoid. I just hate hunting down bad wires, and was wondering if anyone knew of something else that I may have overlooked? :shrug

It has a new battery and starter motor.

I also searched for the answer and could not find anything. So I apologize if this has already been covered in another thread.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm thinking its the wire or connector thats between the switch and the solenoid its has 2 b some thing right there or check ur starter relay. or ur neutral safety switch.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
I'm thinking its the wire or connector thats between the switch and the solenoid its has 2 b some thing right there or check ur starter relay. or ur neutral safety switch.
try wiggling your shift lever or place it in neutral and see if it starts. but it is a good possibility that switch is bad. you can test it with a meter.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
try wiggling your shift lever or place it in neutral and see if it starts. but it is a good possibility that switch is bad. you can test it with a meter.
I replaced the switch and still no go. But I will try wiggling the shift lever. thanks:toothless

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
What actually happens when you use the key....:scratchhe....does the engine turn over but not fire up or does it feel like the key is disconnected without any "spring loaded pressure" when you turn it to "RUN/START".....if so then you might consider the "upper ignition actuator" might be broken inside the steering wheel in which case you have to tear the steering wheel down to the knuckle...PITA job ....lol lol....in order to replace it but the part only costs around $10.00 in the Help section......

Check this thread: Ignition Actuator Replacement on an '85 w/tilt ~ this is a picture step by step DIY, how to and you'll see what's invloved ahead of time so you'll know what to expect....the OEM part number for the actuator is listed in the thread...

I'd also PULL CODES just out of curiosity and see if there is a code: 67.....AC or "NSS" issue though in many cases it's not always the NSS but actually the column shift linkage is out of sync with the transmission when you run the the PRNDL etc. so wiggling or holding the column shifter UP to start might be an indication or it might be the NSS switch itself.......there's a procedure/ illustration in the Haynes Manual or at www.broncolinks.com regarding how to syncronize the linkage and transmission referred to as "Point A" and it's very easy to do, might take all of 10-15 minutes total.....

Last, check the ignition switch on the lower part of the steering column, it might not be "timed" correctly with the travel of the ignition rod on top of the column so when you go to turn the key the rod doesn't travel far enough to trigger the ignition switch.....this may be a bit of a stretch unless you played with the switch which has "slots" for up or down adjustment where it mounts....

Just some ideas to consider....

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What actually happens when you use the key....:scratchhe....does the engine turn over but not fire up or does it feel like the key is disconnected without any "spring loaded pressure" when you turn it to "RUN/START".....if so then you might consider the "upper ignition actuator" might be broken inside the steering wheel in which case you have to tear the steering wheel down to the knuckle...PITA job ....lol lol....in order to replace it but the part only costs around $10.00 in the Help section......

Check this thread: Ignition Actuator Replacement on an '85 w/tilt ~ this is a picture step by step DIY, how to and you'll see what's invloved ahead of time so you'll know what to expect....the OEM part number for the actuator is listed in the thread...

I'd also PULL CODES just out of curiosity and see if there is a code: 67.....AC or "NSS" issue though in many cases it's not always the NSS but actually the column shift linkage is out of sync with the transmission when you run the the PRNDL etc. so wiggling or holding the column shifter UP to start might be an indication or it might be the NSS switch itself.......there's a procedure/ illustration in the Haynes Manual or at www.broncolinks.com regarding how to syncronize the linkage and transmission referred to as "Point A" and it's very easy to do, might take all of 10-15 minutes total.....

Last, check the ignition switch on the lower part of the steering column, it might not be "timed" correctly with the travel of the ignition rod on top of the column so when you go to turn the key the rod doesn't travel far enough to trigger the ignition switch.....this may be a bit of a stretch unless you played with the switch which has "slots" for up or down adjustment where it mounts....

Just some ideas to consider....

I do have "spring loaded pressure". I just replaced the switch on the steering column and it still did not work. I am guessing that the "actuator" thath you are talking about is the little metal arm behind the wheel I bought one but it did not seem to need replacing as the key motion is very smooth and i watched the new switch engage as i turned the key right after i replaced it (which it didn't need). The shifter thing is a very good suggestion. I will try that tomorrow and post the results.
Thank you:twotu:

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
The ignition key "cylinder" is located on the right outside metal collar and it has a slot just below it so with a small sharp tool, key in "RUN" position you can pop it out.....the end of the cylinder is attached to the lower ignition actuator with gear drive so everything rotates forward when you turn the key......along with the Rod on top of the column attached to the ignition switch lower down.....

The upper ignition actuator is deep inside the column so you have to tear down the steering wheel all the way to the Tilt or Non-Tilt knuckle which is spring loaded, it's at least a 2 hr job.....but the part is the same for both style steering wheels.....check out the thread, "Ignition Actuator Replacement on an 85 w/Tilt" and you'll see a picture of the actuator in the first few posts, it's in a Ford OEM bag with the part number on it.....

If you have spring loaded tension using the key at "RUN/START" it's probably not the actuator......

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. So I ran the multi meter in the ignition switch wire and no juice is getting through. I looked in the wiring diagram and I suspect that fuze link D is the culprit.

Does anyone know where fuse link D is located?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I found the problem after asking around in a few forums.
I did every trouble shooting thing that people suggested. I narrowed it down to the Nuetral Safety switch. There were no loose wires or any thing so I removed it and I heard some thing rattling around inside of it and saw the electrical seal had come completely seperated...

The connector turned out to be a 1990 part even thought my bronco is a 89? maybe a late production. The 90 has a female end on it the 89 has a male end. This is the 90 part...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts