Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have an 86 Bronco and I have been to hell and back with a wandering problem on the freeway. I finally figured out that my steering knuckle bushing on my right side is super tight (with steering disconnected and on jack stands I can barely turn the wheel). So, that said, how hard is it to replace the steering knuckle bushings/bearings? Anyone have the part number? Am I even calling it the right thing? I searched but could not find the right information on the forums. Thanks in advance for your help!

Justin

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
I'm not even sure what you are talking about. Why ask, if you already diagnosed what is wrong. Just get in there and start wrenching. That's all I do when I find a problem. If you have never done it before, you will likely do it the hard way, but by the time you are done you will have figured out an easier way to do it I'm sure.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I asked because I am not sure if a special tool is required to get the steering knuckles off.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Do you have a back up vehicle? If so just start wrenching and you'll find out, or phone a garage and ask them. That is what I always do when I have a problem I can't figure out. Most shops will be glad to give you advise.

·
Crusher Mike
6,111 Posts
take it too a shop ask to have an alignment check usually those are free. when they shake the truck down they will tell you whats wrong. then get a haynes manual and get to it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I already know it's the steering knuckle bearing. Just wondering if anyone here has ever replaced them.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is exactly what I was looking for Moose!!!!!

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!

Guess I know what I will be doing this weekend. I will post my results and see if it takes care of the wandering problem. I have had my truck aligned and literally replaced everything else with brand new parts. I have my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
259 Posts
when you have the front end apart replace the ft axle u-joints. They are annoying to do if that is all that needs to be done.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am a little low on cash, so I am going to opt out of replacing anything I dont have to. That and this truck has hardly ever used 4WD. So, we'll see if it holds up onve I start to abuse the front axle.

·
Registered
259 Posts
a tight u-joint can make it wander also. Just giving a suggestion. I know how being short on money is.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now that's an interesting point. I just hope I get this figured out. I have all new steerin linkage, a fresh alignment and there is nothing really besides the ball joints left. Even the alignment guy told me the ball joint on the right should be replaced. If this fixes my wandering problem, I will actually drive the bronco a lot more. It's down right dangerous on the freeway.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The spindle shaft has to move freely on the u-joint, you will have to pull the ft axle shafts out to change ball joints anyway. You cannot check these u-joints on the truck. The u-joints are only around $20 ea in the Detroit area. You will get it just take your time. I have only had to change 5 sets of ball joints on broncos and F150's. It gets easier everytime.

·
Registered
259 Posts
If the u-joints are bad on the 1 side check the other side. Drivers side is a little easier to put back together by yourself.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
JustinC said:
Now that's an interesting point. I just hope I get this figured out. I have all new steerin linkage, a fresh alignment and there is nothing really besides the ball joints left. Even the alignment guy told me the ball joint on the right should be replaced. If this fixes my wandering problem, I will actually drive the bronco a lot more. It's down right dangerous on the freeway.
If you have any worn front end parts, than there is no way an algnment should have been done. I've had shops flat out refuse to do an alignment because a ball joint showed signs of wear. You say dangerous to drive, sounds like he definately shouldn't have done an alignment. It also tells me that there is more going on here. How is your steering box. I think you may have one or more rivets broken holding that front crossmember to your frame.

Also,in case you don't already know, ball joints get changed in pairs (top/bottom) on the one side.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The front crossmemeber is in there just fine. I had the TTB off about a few months ago when I installed the Skyjacker lift. Everything looked fine. The thing I did notice was that the ball joint on the right was really stiff. I will take your advise though, and I will re-inspect the crossmember rivits when I am under there this weekend.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
By any chance did this driving issue start with the addition of this lift? If so check everything that was changed and make sure all your bolts are torqued.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts