Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bronco starts up just fine but when i turn on the headlights it immediately stalls out

without lights on it shows perfect voltage and no battery light

need help!!!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
found the thread but there was no conclusion

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
Run to your local auto parts store and have them check the charging system. See if it is working right. i know autozone has a little crash cart they bring out and test it. Sounds like an alternator to me.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when i try to start it with the lights on the starter cranks the engine nicely, but doesnt fire up. Like its not getting spark with the lights on. Or is it not getting fuel with the lights on??

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
Konham said:
when i try to start it with the lights on the starter cranks the engine nicely, but doesnt fire up. Like its not getting spark with the lights on. Or is it not getting fuel with the lights on??
Your starter consumes a lot of current to turn your motor, your lights require alot of current to be on (elements are basically heat, heat draws a lot of current)

With those two main things trying to work at the same time, your drawing a lot of power and not leaving much for the rest of the items. Turn the lights off, start the truck, and drive it to autozone to get your charging system checked.

If you don't do that, start it up, let it run, check the voltage from at your battery, and at your alternator, then return to us with some numbers. ("perfect voltage" doesn't necessarily mean correct voltage)

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I'm thinking a bad ground,possibly ground location G100-left front on the the radiator support(the left headlight and part of the computer system use this as a common ground)and ground location G101-right fender at the front near the battery(the right headlight and other parts of the computer system use this as a common ground).Make sure that the grounds at these locations are clean and tight.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I saw behavior like this before. It was the result of mounting a floor pedestal(sp) for a CB/Cellphone. The guy had run a screw through a wiring harness and shorted some of the wires to the frame. :doh0715:

It was like the car was haunted.:shocked

Have you ran any screws through your carpet?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts