Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Just another Fat Guy
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting ready to buy a 1981 FS Bronco that has a 351W from the orginial owner BUT IT DOESNT RUN!

Owner stated that it ran 6-8 months ago but he got a new car and just parked it. It will turn over but the carb is "froze up" tried putting fuel in the carb and nothing ...cranks but nothing. ?? There is "corrision" on the intake manafold and APPEARS to be corrision inside the manafold!

The body itself is ALMOST mint! Normal rust on talegate and one spot on the rf fender (small and came out 2 years after owning the truck)

I know you all will yell at me...but its only $200 buts for the truck from the orginial owner BUT I dont want to make it a money pit. I guess just buying it and having it towed to a local shop to find out what it needs is about all I can do at this point.

The truck is my "wedding" present from my best friend. And he's not looking to spend more then $850 total to give me something i can drive 5 mins to work everyday and work on on the weekends.

Let me know what you all think. GREAT INFO so far on here!

Thanks inadvance!

Chuck:banghead

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Crazed said:
Rust in the engine? sounds like new engine time.
:stupid
It must have gotten water in there. If you can get it for $200 you may be able to swap in a donor engine for $600. Look around for donor engines and see what shops might charge you to put it in.

·
Just another Fat Guy
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So dont even think about getting it rebuilt? Or would the machining cost be to high to worry about ??

MAYBE it didnt get past the heads??? I know I need to change the oil since its been sitting but I also need to change all the fluids also right? Brake/Diff/Oil/Coolent.

Just dont wanta pass up the deal since there is NO RUST on the frame! And from the orginal owner.

But Im going to spend monday calling shops about engine work/rebuilding. Dont wanta spend more then $500-600 for the engine work. INCLUDING PARTS

Guess I will wait and see.

What else should I be concerend about?

:banghead

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
As you said check all the fluids. I would change them all regardless of how they look and smell. When you look at the fluid beware of any metal shavings etc. Other than that be sure the tranny is ok and you should be good. It would not hurt to get a price on a rebuild also as you said.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
Couldn't it just be surface rust from sitting....he is in Florida and the salt air is a beotch...I would try taking off the intake and cleaning it real well, you could then look at the top of the engine to see what it looks like under there...rebuild the carb for about $20...If the body and frame are "mint" it is defiantely worth the asking price no matter what shape the engine is in...

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hell I've eaten meals that cost more than $200....so I guess that would mean buy it! Worst case sell it for a profit on Ebay:beer

·
Just another Fat Guy
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bad news

WOOOHOOOOO

Just called a few shops as far a getting the engine rebuilt. Anywhere from 1200 - - - $2900 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UMMMMMMMM NO! Thats WAY TO MUCH! I mean come on, wouldnt it be cheaper just to swap it out with a used engine? or a smaller used engine? Like a 302 or something?

Any ideas??

·
Just another Fat Guy
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep

Same engine.............i made sure to check that. and the dude selling it is the orginial owner and showed me the orginial window sticker

·
Just another Fat Guy
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
per the sticker it stated 351W and I had something from off the net on how check to see if it was a 351M or a 351C

·
Super Moderator
14,748 Posts
Bro, for $200 bucks, buy it!! Don't monkey around and let someone else snatch it up..Or tell me where exactly in gulf breeze you are and I'll get my buddies trailer hitched up and come down there this weekend to buy it myself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts