Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie to the forum here....

I bought a hard loaded 78 Bronco new, and then owned another 79 about 91~93. My daughter inherited it, wrecked it a couple of times, but has always loved the 78~79 Bronco. She is now realizing her dream of having another, having just bought a 79 Custom. We're working on it to get it back into good driving condition.

I've searched the forum archives with no real answer so I decided to ask your help.

Need a fan shroud and would like to know which series & year models will work.

Need a coolant recovery tank also. Again, what models will interchange for the 79 Bronco.

Thanks for your help and I'm sure I'll be back asking for more as we progress through this project.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
For a new shroud try Jeff's Bronco Graveyard or NPD. Catalogs online. You'll need to measure your radiator first.

I added a billet overflow tank to my rig. IIRC they didn't come with them from the factory.

LMC truck or NPD can hook you up.

·
Registered
455 Posts
.....Need a fan shroud and would like to know which series & year models will work.

Need a coolant recovery tank also. Again, what models will interchange for the 79 Bronco......
Jerry
Welcome to the forum, Jerry.
As rkmnt said, Jeffs Bronco Graveyard has excellent shrouds, with the Ford logo stamped on them. They're repros, but good quality. My last one came from Jeff's; (most of the parts yard vintage plastic is in poor shape already).

There are two shroud sizes for the 78/79 so be careful when ordering. The longer one is for the 'Supercooler' radiator, which was optional for those years. The Supercooler has a VERY large top tank.

I use a $10 overflow kit that came from AutoZone, although the billets are very nice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks you all for the help. I've developed good sources for the ZR-1 Corvette that I'm involved in, but breaking new ground here with sources for the 79 Bronco. I really enjoy helping the kids put this thing back into great shape. Son-in-law is SWAT team cop & daughter is RN. They want a unique appearing Bronco with that unmistakable 4-wheeler look but still retaining good driveability. We're documenting the process & will be asking for lots of advice from you experts!

THANKS AGAIN

·
Salt-Man
1,634 Posts
Well you have definitely come to the right place. for we are a bunch of Rather Unique Characters ;) :rofl:
sounds like you have a couple of Great Kids! with good taste in trucks

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
IIRC they didn't come with them from the factory.

Incorrect, some tho not all used a seperate overflow bottle. I'll have to get a picture up of one. They are seldom found in a junyard truck and I don't even think you can buy an OE style replacement.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Mines got the overflow bottle... w/out a lid. :doh0715:

Right now it's also missing both rear quarter panels so the lid is the least of my worries. :toothless

·
Registered
528 Posts
Incorrect, some tho not all used a seperate overflow bottle. I'll have to get a picture up of one. They are seldom found in a junyard truck and I don't even think you can buy an OE style replacement.
Like to see the pictures! Never seen one. My 1978 F250 (bought new) did not come with one, but it's not a Bronco either.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the picture! From the engine pics I've seen, looks like this mounts to the radiator cowl on the drivers side.

Gotta love this forum!

·
Registered
143 Posts
i always just used a soda bottle as a collant resevoir.....just drilled a hole in the cap just big enough for the rubber hose to fit in and attached the bottle to the fender.....never had it overflow either,,,the furthest i ever saw it get is about half way in a 16oz coca cola bottle!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts