Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1979 Bronco a while ago and I'm know starting to make some repairs and upgrades, and I have a few questions I hope someone can answer. 1. What type of front axle was stock? I was told it had a 4.10 gear ratio. 2. What type of transfer case was stock? Because it's not working right and I would like to know if I should rebuild or upgrade. The only thing that I can see that was done to this truck was a rough country suspension update. Looks like new coil springs were installed up front and some lifting blocks in the rear. The bushing from the front axle to the radius arms look stock so I'm thinking it's only 2.5 inch lift. The fenders were also cut out to make room for the 35" tires. I am looking at mostly trailriding with it in Minnesota and Wisconsin. This is only my second Bronco, my frist was an 83 with a worn out 302 in it that was my daily driver for many years.

·
Registered
467 Posts
D-44 reverse rotation is the stock front axle.
4.10 was a standard gear set that was offered - 3.50 is the most common.

Do you have locking front hubs (manual) then you have NP-205 (best factory part-time 4wd transfer case ever offered in a 1/2 platform).... There is a small possibility that you have a NP-203 (Full time 4wd) that someone has converted to part-time. IF the t-case shifter has a 2WD H position on it then you have a NP-205.

35" tires (depending on brand) on 8" rims will fit a stock Bronco. There is an angled block that is part of the factory suspension and not a lift. I would bet you have the factory suspension..... They might have installed 1-1/2" - 2" leveling springs on the front (that would be my guess).

Of course you could also have the very rare Bronco High-Boy....:rofl:

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Sell that rare Bronco High-Boy on ebay for some un-godly amount...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. It does have the factory ford manual hubs and the shift level does say 2WD H on it. The front coil springs look new and I did notice a 2" block and the angle block on the rear. Is the NP-205 transfer case the one that has the gear drive instead of the chain drive? If it were a High Boy, how could you tell?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks for the info. It does have the factory ford manual hubs and the shift level does say 2WD H on it. The front coil springs look new and I did notice a 2" block and the angle block on the rear. Is the NP-205 transfer case the one that has the gear drive instead of the chain drive? If it were a High Boy, how could you tell?
Yes the np205 is a gear transfercase.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A previous owner cut the fenders out, so the wheel opening is to big to tell what would fit in the orginal openings. Even with only 35" tires on it, it still sits pretty high off the ground.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Thanks for the info. If it were a High Boy, how could you tell?
I will see if I can dig up the e-mail address of a guy who specializes in rare Bronco restoration. He owns one of the few know Bronco High-boys in existance. You can drop him a line and ask him what the best to identify one would be.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yup. The factory stripes down the side are a sure sign of it being a Highboy. How much you want for it?
I haven't really given much thought about selling it. The frames in good condition but the body needs work. The floor pans and body mounts are good, but the fenders, door, and quarters are rust. I don't believe it could be worth more that $2,000 on a good day, much less now when the dealers are taking all most $10,000 off the top of a new truck just to get them off the lot. To answer your question, everything for sale, make an offer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.