Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all i'm just wondering what people think about this. there is a 83 bronco XLT, i'm going to look at it tommorow probably but the guy says it has a year old rebuilt 302 in it, auto trans, new seats, new tires, new battery, and other new stuff. it looks well taken care of, here's the link to the page i saw it at: http://austin.craigslist.org/car/148229976.html
hes asking 3000 obo so he will go down. now heres the kicker, i already have a 86 bronco with the 351W, C-6, 9" rear. I just rebuilt the heads on it, oil pump, rad, p/s pump, and a few other things. the motor has 160K on it and only has about 12psi oil pressure at idle and i plan on rebuilding it in about a year, it has some other issues too like some rust near the drip rails and other spots. i was just wondering what other people think if i were to swap bronc's. the reason i bought one is too play with it and not use it as a DD and only to play. i plan on wheeling on trails, mud, and mild rocks. so what do y'all think?

Travis

·
0 Posts
Thats a nice looking bronco. Looks clean from the pics.

I sent the other duplicate threads to the woodchipper. :thumbup

·
Registered
161 Posts
Very nice. I like that bodystyle. It would be my 2nd Bronco if it were close.

--

I bought a Ski boat in Austin, TX last October....I ain't driving that far again for nothing else!

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,830 Posts
maybe 2600-2800 but definatly clean. that center counsol looks cool to.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
BIGT2317 said:
since i want to play with it off road would there be a problem with the 302 having lack of power or anything when running 35" tires & 6" susp. lift with some gear in it?

travis
Hey..just a word or two from a Bronco owner who uses it daily and can't afford to fix any "mistakes" on the trails...you may not want to get something very nice if you're just going to trail ride it. I know I bought mine with the full intent of having a daily driver, I paid $3500 for mine. I'd bet anything you could find a descent body/good running Bronco for under $2000.

Having said that, if you want to trail ride like me (not a lot, and taking it easy when I do), then yeah, it's probably worth it.

The 302 (if it was like the one in the 83 I used to have) will be a dog...not fast at all (my 0-60 was around 24 seconds!) but it held it's own in the mud :thumbup

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
the 302 should be fine.. When on the trail you can always put it in 4lo and the lower gearing will make up for the weaker engine..

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK well i just got back from looking at it and here's what i found. Master cylinder leaking, oil leak somewhere, c-6 tranny, 302 motor with about 8K on it, new carb, 8.8 rear end, dana 44 ttb front. new seats but mexicanized installation. new radiator, no heat or a/c (compressor worthless, and heater core leaking) rusted tailgate, small cracks in top, steering wheel tilt is stripped out (any pressure on it and it tilts down) no radio, 2 different kind of tires on it, orig trans (never rebuilt) and the truck itself has 227K on it he says. it has a bunch of small stuff that neeeds to be worked on, i took a few pics that are in my superford gallery (it is the brown bronc): http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=12118&s=33293#content
he's asking 3K and i need to tell him tomorrow (6th), but i don't think it's worth 3K maybe 2K or so. what do you think
Thanks,
Travis

http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=12118&s=33293#content

1 - 13 of 13 Posts