Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Man of endless projects
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
title says it all. 302 88 bronco needs more torque. also a friend with a 83 chevy 305 wants more torque also. need some tips on ways to get more low end. high end on the bronco doesnt matter to me but the chevy needs some still. kinda looking for simple things and really dont want new gearing yet

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Get rid of that dinky little engine then. :goodfinge

No seriously, I wouldn't even mess with a 5.0L and trying to make more torque. It's like trying to make a pony. . . win the Kentucky Derby (I was going in a weird direction there for a second lol). There's no replacement for displacement. But if you're not even willing to do a re-gearing, I'm not sure you're motivated enough for an engine swap.

Drive the gm into a lake for more torque. The water will wash all of the carbon out of the ports really good, and that'll increase flow.

:haha

·
Im scared of jopes
1,660 Posts
If you dont want to get into gearing, Then I think you know the answer. 460! Nothing cosmetically you do to that engine will give you the torque your looking for. As for the chevy. IDGAF

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
stroke and poke a 460 to 500+ cubes and then dump another 5 grand in axles and bigger tires.

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,515 Posts
Deezul swap.

·
Man of endless projects
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya i knew u would all say gearing for bko and screw the chevy. im jsut kinda annoyed that my 96 has soo much more torque than my 88 with the same engine and gearings. i really didnt want to do the gearing cause i jsut put new gearing in not long ago. im gonna eventually do a 460 or diesel maby but thats when i can afford it. jsut looked for some more torque so when im pulling ppl out, i dont look like im usin a POS

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
more torque?

Umm.. put it in 4-lo? :shrug

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
More torque from the 5.0 isnt really gonna do much. You dont have to go to a 460 either, although it was the qorquiest of all the motors. you could do a 351 swap and that would give you lots more torque. And if thats too much, gears are your next best bet

·
Registered
128 Posts
More torque from the 5.0 isnt really gonna do much. You dont have to go to a 460 either, although it was the qorquiest of all the motors. you could do a 351 swap and that would give you lots more torque. And if thats too much, gears are your next best bet
ummm...ok. but ft/lb of torque is torque. it doesnt matter which engine it comes from. stroke the 302 to a 347, and lets just say for arguements sake it puts out 300 ft/lb. a stock 351W puts out roughly the same. torque is torque. stroking a 302 to 347 makes it for all practical intents and purposes a 351W. so...why is that not gonna do much? :popc1:

dont snipe me for disagreeing with you...please. :whiteflag

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Are your return and shift keys broken? I say grab each side of your keyboard and see how much torque it will take to break it. I bet it's more than your "friends" chebby will make.

Btw I have 255 ftlbs at the wheels at 800rpm.

·
Man of endless projects
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
4low is good for pullin but its also too low gearing for just driving offroad plus i have different tires on the back than the front so staying in 4anything isnt good. when im in 1st gear i still have to give it some gas jsut driving offroad on solid ground.

one thing i need to a better exaught pipe. my current one is basicly a bunch of flex pipe with lots of leaks, a cat that acts as a Y piece, and a flowmaster. only reason i have this shitty setup is cause i htink open headers may jsut be a tad too loud and take all my remaining torque away (though i love the sound). im gonna try and fix a few exaught leaks eventually but how should i run my exuaght while aiming for torque? pipe diameter? muffler? header?

also would it inspire you all to help me if i said the chevy has far more power than my BKO right now?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
ummm...ok. but ft/lb of torque is torque. it doesnt matter which engine it comes from. stroke the 302 to a 347, and lets just say for arguements sake it puts out 300 ft/lb. a stock 351W puts out roughly the same. torque is torque. stroking a 302 to 347 makes it for all practical intents and purposes a 351W. so...why is that not gonna do much?
All that modification to a 5.0L vs. a stock 5.8L....hmm.... ;)

[personal experience & opinion]

Having worked with both engines for a VERY long time, I'm just a big fan of the 5.8L's beefiness in key areas, e.g. larger crank journals, taller deck, larger head bolts, BLIND head bolt holes (!), larger oil pump drive, factory piston design is better on the later models (F4TE), etc. They're just a better setup for a truck application, IMHO.

Having said that, the 5.0L is a very good CAR engine, or at least for vehicles where weight is not a substantial consideration. I say this because they were factory equipment in cars weighing about 3000 to 4000 pounds, and almost all performed respectably. The engine has enough oomph off the line to get its ass going, and it usually spins up fast enough to make a higher-revving engine more tangible for racing and high-performance applications. The latter, I consider a product of its lighter rotating assembly, shorter stroke, thinner & lighter block, etc. These are all great for a street car, but BAD for a truck weighing 5000 pounds and requiring gobs of torque across the operating range, but especially down low.

FWIW, mine is putting down ~400 lbf*ft across a VERY flat and broad operating range, according to the math, simulations, & datalogs.

Goddamn, I love my setup. :rockon

[/personal experience & opinion]

Are your return and shift keys broken? I say grab each side of your keyboard and see how much torque it will take to break it. I bet it's more than your "friends" chebby will make.
:histerica I lol'd at this...and it's probably true. I have yet to see a 305 impress me at all.

Btw I have 255 ftlbs at the wheels at 800rpm.
You're sure? I mean that as a question out of curiosity, not condemnation or doubt. :D

one thing i need to a better exaught pipe. my current one is basicly a bunch of flex pipe with lots of leaks, a cat that acts as a Y piece, and a flowmaster. only reason i have this shitty setup is cause i htink open headers may jsut be a tad too loud and take all my remaining torque away (though i love the sound). im gonna try and fix a few exaught leaks eventually but how should i run my exuaght while aiming for torque? pipe diameter? muffler? header?
So, you've got a bunch of broken shit on your truck, and you're wondering whether any of it has an impact?

:twak

C'mon, man. Just fix the broken shit, put it back to factory specs & parts, THEN look for possible improvements. Junk and jerry-rigging will only hamper your efforts.

also would it inspire you all to help me if i said the chevy has far more power than my BKO right now?
No, it just tells me its owner takes better care of its problems.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
You're sure? I mean that as a question out of curiosity, not condemnation or doubt. :D
Meh close enough this is before timing, intercooler, and higher transfer pressure.

·
Registered
170 Posts
All that modification to a 5.0L vs. a stock 5.8L....hmm.... ;)

[personal experience & opinion]

Having worked with both engines for a VERY long time, I'm just a big fan of the 5.8L's beefiness in key areas, e.g. larger crank journals, taller deck, larger head bolts, BLIND head bolt holes (!), larger oil pump drive, factory piston design is better on the later models (F4TE), etc. They're just a better setup for a truck application, IMHO.

Having said that, the 5.0L is a very good CAR engine, or at least for vehicles where weight is not a substantial consideration. I say this because they were factory equipment in cars weighing about 3000 to 4000 pounds, and almost all performed respectably. The engine has enough oomph off the line to get its ass going, and it usually spins up fast enough to make a higher-revving engine more tangible for racing and high-performance applications. The latter, I consider a product of its lighter rotating assembly, shorter stroke, thinner & lighter block, etc. These are all great for a street car, but BAD for a truck weighing 5000 pounds and requiring gobs of torque across the operating range, but especially down low.

FWIW, mine is putting down ~400 lbf*ft across a VERY flat and broad operating range, according to the math, simulations, & datalogs.

Goddamn, I love my setup. :rockon

[/personal experience & opinion]

:histerica I lol'd at this...and it's probably true. I have yet to see a 305 impress me at all.

So, you've got a bunch of broken shit on your truck, and you're wondering whether any of it has an impact?

:twak

C'mon, man. Just fix the broken shit, put it back to factory specs & parts, THEN look for possible improvements. Junk and jerry-rigging will only hamper your efforts.

No, it just tells me its owner takes better care of its problems.
What engine are you running and what is done to it?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts