Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I have a 93 bronco with the 5.8 in it and I live in New Jersey. After running it at about 80 constantly on the NJ pike, the thing started blowing oil. This thing has 170k miles. My mechanic told me that the engine is tired and it needs a new one. It runs a little rough and stumbles when accelerating. My mechanic told me the oil is blowing out of the dipstick. Is this problem fixable? Does anyone here know of any mechanics in central Jersey who can help me? My alternative is getting a new engine I guess. I see rebuilt ones on ebay that you have to add everything off your existing engine on to. Does anyone know a person who sells quality rebuilt engines and how much they go for?
Thanks,
Jerry

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
i just ordered one from precisionengines.com in houston texas. it is a long block the same thing you are reffereing too. it was 1300 and i couldnt get a rebuild around here cheaper than that. i will let you know as soon as i install it.

ken

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
i had oil blowing out the dipstick on my 289 mustang. i rebuild the motor and it turned out it had two broken rings. it had to much blowby in the crank case forcing the oil out the dip. couldnt tell you were to get a new engine. sorry. good luck

·
Registered
21 Posts
huh?

imlikeojnow said:
i just ordered one from precisionengines.com in houston texas. it is a long block the same thing you are reffereing too.

ken
5.8 = Long Block? I thought that 351x was a a short like 289 and 302.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,307 Posts
RideBlueOrFockU said:
Hey Guys,
I have a 93 bronco with the 5.8 in it and I live in New Jersey. After running it at about 80 constantly on the NJ pike, the thing started blowing oil. This thing has 170k miles. My mechanic told me that the engine is tired and it needs a new one. It runs a little rough and stumbles when accelerating. My mechanic told me the oil is blowing out of the dipstick. Is this problem fixable? Does anyone here know of any mechanics in central Jersey who can help me? My alternative is getting a new engine I guess. I see rebuilt ones on ebay that you have to add everything off your existing engine on to. Does anyone know a person who sells quality rebuilt engines and how much they go for?
Thanks,
Jerry
What's the mileage ?

Did he/you do a leakdown or compression test ?

When was the last time the PCV valve and oil breather filter was changed ?

Sixlitre

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I am up a bit north of you I think, but if you would like our shop to install the new engine, you can call and set it up. Ask for Mario, or Steve. If you want a plain jane long block crate motor, I would call Jasper, and have them deliver it directly to our shop. If you want a long block that has already been built up I think Ford Motorsport sells them w/a decent warranty.

In any case......like I said.....I am about a 2 miles from the Lincoln Tunnel......If thats cool with you....call and make a appointment.

In Demand Automotive
4101 Bergen Tpk.
North Bergen, NJ 07047
201-864-9090

·
Registered
83 Posts
Blue Eye Devil said:
long block is a usually pan to intake complete, add exhaust and intake components

All this talk makes me want to go back to Toms River. I miss Seaside and good cheese steaks.

·
Back in TEXAS
1,967 Posts
Blue Eye Devil said:
the way long and short blocks were described to me

Long block = rebuilt block including heads
Short block = rebuilt bloc minus heads

In both cases intake, accessories, valve covers, etc not included.

5.8 or 351w is a small block like the 289 and 302
IIRC 351c and 351m are both big blocks like the 460 but I could be wrong on this point

Long block and big block are two different animals as are small and short blocks

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
yjzonie said:
all 351's (c, m ,w) are small blocks as is the 400m:doh0715:
except 351c and 351m use big block bellhousing

Small and Big block are chevy terms...
thats why parts are described SBF(Small block ford) and BBF(duh) all over the place

dc

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
long block is block with crank and all that shit plus the heads installed. short block is the same without the heads.

·
Registered
21 Posts
87EBBronco said:
the way long and short blocks were described to me

Long block = rebuilt block including heads
Short block = rebuilt bloc minus heads

In both cases intake, accessories, valve covers, etc not included.

5.8 or 351w is a small block like the 289 and 302
IIRC 351c and 351m are both big blocks like the 460 but I could be wrong on this point

Long block and big block are two different animals as are small and short blocks
Point taken, I got confussed with the long and big being the same. Thanks

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Some say the 351M/400 and 351C are big blocks and some say they are small blocks. I say they are big blocks and any one can make a point to why they should or shouldn't be called one or the other.

The 351C uses a SB bell pattern and the 351M/400 uses a BB bell pattern. The heads from a 351C, 351M/400 will fit on a SB block engine such as the 289/302. This is why some call these motors SB.

Now back to the blow by problem. The truck engines are known to have problems in the number 8 cylinder because of the PCV. It causes that cylinder to run lean and it burns it up over time.

As suggested a leak down test should be performed. I myself have never run across ab bad PCV but I am sure they are out there. It is a pretty safe bet seeing how the truck is or has been used and the given mileage that it more than likely will need a new engine.

The down side to haiving your current engine rebuilt is the down time with out the truck. A rebuilt crate engine can be installed in a weekend and have you running by Monday for work and as pinted out may be cheaper in the long run.

Check to see if you have a F4TE block. If the bronco was built in late 93 it may have this block. If so it is a roller ready 351W and has some value but mybe not as much as the core charge.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts