Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search!.. didnt find much info...I think my pan gasket is shot...Drove bronco this weekend to hunting club and noticed while unlocking the gate to club there was a small spot of fresh oil under truck.... went wheelin through club searching for new places to put my stand....got home and parked...within an hour a nice puddle has formed under truck...I'm praying its just a pan gasket...truck seems to run great....I tried to get under and look but was getting late... it is really greasy/dirty build up under the motor so today I bought some degreaser and I'm going to begin to try and get the area clean... from what I have read I will have to undo motor mounts and jack the motor up.... is this a task or piece of cake to do.. and should I do anything else while I have the pan off... like the oil pump etc? any help would be apprec. because I have never done this before...

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
It is quite a task. You do need to jack the motor up. That's the easy part. Then you need to clean off the old one and fish the new one in and around the oil pickup unit. Be ready for lots of swearing but it can be done. Leave a good 3-4 hrs to do it if not more.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Its a big PITA, I did it on my bronco II when it had the original engine. I will never use a 4pc gasket again, Im gonna be getting a one piece soon. I need to pull the pan cause the pickup tube/screen is clogged bad.

·
Registered
529 Posts
in doing this can you "Replaee the Pan" also? Without pulling the engine...just by lifting it?

BTW the Mounts are a PITA...especially the front ones...you'll see. I have them off and was going to replace the Pan while doing the Motor Mounts, but not sure If I can get the pan off. Looks like the exhaust from the drivers side might be in the way. Also want to make sure I can clear the crossmember.

Thanks

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
Yes, you can replace the oil pan as well, but it's such a pain to get the oil pump in and out without pulling the motor. You have to be a contorshonist or one of them little Asian guys with 17 joints in your arm. I swear I don't know how they do it sometimes. Anyway, a few years back, I replaced my pan this way, and I went through 3 sets of gaskets until I could get it to stop leaking. I swore that I'd never do it this way again. If it turns out to be the pan gasket, make sure you get the one piece gasket. I just hope for your sake that it's the gasket and not the main seal.

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
After the degreaser, try some brake parts cleaner. It will dry fast so you can see where it's comin from.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes and no.... It's so dirty and oily all over and the grime is like a 1/4" thick I can't tell just yet if it is a front seal or pan gasket.... It could be the coming from the very front of pan gasket where it meets the front cover...it really could be both....:shrug Going to get under it this afternoon to look some more..FSB rocks by the way!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
update....Everything was nice and dry... so I topped it off with oil and drove around... parked at home and it was forming a drip right under crankshaft oil seal..So I guess that it is a front crankshaft seal.... urgh... I have no tools to do this one...:banghead

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
You don't need that many tools. If you have a set of SAE sockets you could get it done in an afternoon.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes... but there is the subject of cranshaft pulley..... I do not have a puller.. I have plenty of wrenches/sockets all the way up to 1 1/2" but I dont have a puller of any sorts.. From what I read in the chiltons I need a crankshaft pulley removal tool and also a front seal removal/instalation tool?

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
You can also rent a puller real cheap at some auto parts stores. How many miles are on it? You may want to replace the timing chain and gears while you're in there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts