Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i installed a xrc10 smittybuilt winch about 3 weeks ago and now im getting around to finishing my corners that i wanted to build.

front view with no corners installed

VS......

Front view with corners installed

Side view corners installed

What do you think? what looks better? im going to put liceses plate on the driver side and a KC light on the top of the corners.

And they are pretty flimsy so i got to find a way to mount the far ends stable. how do you think i can make the far ends more stable?
[/B]

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks man should i keep the corners?

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
I have a similar front and rear bumper replacement on my 2008 F-250. Last year while picking up my mail at the local PO, a lady in a new Lexus wasn't paying attention in the parking lot and took out her entire passenger side including popping out her tail light housing. All it did to the corner of my bumper was knock off the paint. I'd bet it will cost her $5,000 or more to fix her ricer. That's long winded but to say keep the corners if it was me. Very nice Broncy by the way, regardless.

Pap

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok just got to find a way to secure the far ends better and thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wow, it actually looks damn good without them on. Corners dont look bad either....but me..? I think id leave 'em off. It looks mean. Good thing is since you have the corners you can put em on and off as your mood changes..

·
Registered
207 Posts
I would close it off by welding a plate along the bottom. Then I would weld angle iron to the plate and bolt it to the frame rail. Or you could just weld some square tube from the corners to the frame...

·
Registered
230 Posts
How do you like the XRC10, my buddy has an XRC8 on a jeep and he swears by it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Only thing i would do is round of the ends where the wheel well is. And yes please tell us about the winch, that is exactly the one i have in mind for mine.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Keep the corners. Looks good. :rockon

I like the winch too. I have a guy in the area selling a new xrc10 for $384. Do you think that would be an OK buy?

·
Registered
297 Posts
i would def keep the corners and if you want them stiffer run a piece of angle top and bottom and put 3 stiffeners up vertical one on each end and one in the middleof them box it all in and i would just use 2 inch angle iron and stich weld it so its all one piece or u could also make the ends boxed so they are stiffer basically the same way but on the square tubeing weld a angle verticle where the corner starts to bolt it too doesnt look like there is much holding them on right now but ya thats what i would do how thick is the plate it is made from is it 1/8 or 3/16 personally i would go with 1/4 in plate myself maybe 3/16

·
Registered
297 Posts
Keep the corners. Looks good. :rockon

I like the winch too. I have a guy in the area selling a new xrc10 for $384. Do you think that would be an OK buy?
i also would like to hear some thoughts on the xrc10 $402 brand new from rough stuff

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i got my winch brand new for $345 dollars from truckaddons.com i also bought to bulldog hitch reviecers with d-rings that you see in the pictures. $50 for both. i told them i had 395 dollars to spend right now, and they did it. they will work with you. they have bad reviews but i didnt have no problems at all. and the winch, havent really used it yet, i got to get a 3g 160 amp alternator before i start pulling hard. but it seems to have good quialty and everything looks well built. i hooked it up to my battery and did little 1 ft. pull just to make sure it worked and it does. anymore ideas how i can make the corners from moving in and out? i dont really want to weld to the frame because i want to be able to take on and off. and the metal is 16 gauge galvanized, reason so thin because i work in a heating and air shop and thats the thickest we carry, so i got to make them for free.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I liked the angle Iron idea but I understand you do not want to weld. What about fabricating it to where it bolts in. Not sure how but I would think others with some fab exp could chime in. Thanks for the feedback on the winch. I like your deal better.

·
Registered
297 Posts
ya thats a way better price i will have to look them up its a new winch rite not a refurbished one

·
Registered
297 Posts
ya i just checked truckaddons out and that winch is 398 now and from there reviews i will pay an extra 5 bucks to not deal with bs

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yea i no there reviews are bad but if you call them they will drop the price alot. it is 100 % brand new. right from the manufacture, not from them. i got the 2 receiver and the winch for $395 with no bs. but hey maybe i got lucky.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Welding or bolting angle wont stiffen it unless its also part of the 45 and front. Otherwise it will still be capable of bend and ripping at the joint.

I would take some 2-2 1/2" Flatbar or sheet metal and put a 45 degree lip on the bottom of the bumper. The whole part(that you made) WELD it soild inside and out. Otherwise all its going to take is a branch you hit and your bottom of the bumper will bent, dent or rip. In otherwords, I could take a wrench and bend any part of the bottom of the bumper. Best to fix it now because fixing dents arent fun on thick metal.

do a search under my name in the fab forum. I have built 2 bumpers to give you an idea of the lip I am talking about.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks yall i found a way, took some threaded rod threw the body ( not on the body itself, dont no what eles to call it) and it made the far back corners not move at all. i can take some pictures if people would like, let me no. i still want everyones opinions.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts