Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a 79 bronco with one ton rears. I bought a 14 bolt for 150 and was going to build that rear with 4.88s and a detriot but I recently found a 10.25 with 4.88s, detroit, timken bearings, 1350 pinion yoke and clear gearz diff cover for $700.00. The 10.25 has been run 3 times since being rebuilt. I don't care about ford v. chevy, but I am leaning toward the 10.25. Also if I buy the 10.25 I can sell the 14 to a buddy for what I paid. Is this a no brainer or should I stick with the 14?

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,918 Posts
stick with the 14bolt for sure. the 10.25 isnt a full float axle either. guys that need the 10.25 have the e4od tranny which needs the vss/tone ring that axle holds.

i am willing to bet the 14bolt is stronger to. I could use that 10.25 though, is your buddy anywhere on the west coast?

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
stick with the 14bolt for sure. the 10.25 isnt a full float axle either. guys that need the 10.25 have the e4od tranny which needs the vss/tone ring that axle holds.

i am willing to bet the 14bolt is stronger to. I could use that 10.25 though, is your buddy anywhere on the west coast?
There are semi-float 10.25s, but you see FF more often. It has also been around waay longer than the E4OD and they dont all have a VSS & tone ring.

As for the 10.25 vs. 14b, youre looking at around the same amount of money, if not more, to do what you plan with the 14b when you figure in the cost of the locker, gears, small parts, and labor if you are paying someone to set it up. Id go for the 10.25.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figured the 14 bolt it would be around $800+ just in the ring gear and detriot. not to mention perches and to install everything.

bigfoot,
I also thought it was a little over priced. The owner says he has about 1200 into it and I don't know how much he will budge if any.

thanks for the replies.

·
Premium Member
23,551 Posts
if the gear pattern looks good, and there is that little miles on it then the 10.25 is a good deal.

figure 100 for the axle
gears about 200ish
bearing kit about 150ish
detroit has to be more than 500.
then any labor to install the gears is definatly where he is getting the 1200 from.

so 700 is a pretty good deal on it in my mind.

·
Registered
812 Posts
2.5 ton swap? I'd start to wonder what his reasoning is that he decided to upgrade to a 2.5 ton rear. Was he dogging it out or something? I'd definitley check the condition of the gears and other parts to make sure you're not going to have to rebuild it as soon as you get it.

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts
sound like a good deal to me for the 10.25. as long as everything looks good in it.. But are 4.88s going to be low enough gears for you? Looks like you want to put 44s on it.... (from your bronco info)

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was tossed up between 4.88s and 5.13s. I am mostly running mud and trails and I wanted to keep the wheel speed up. I also have a set of 38.5s if I need more low end. What do you think?
Thanks for any help.

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts
What do you think?
Thanks for any help.
just a little info for ya... i wheel my pickup alot, in fact thats the only thing i use it for.. its got 42 inch tsls, and 5.38s,(welded rear, detroit in the front) my 351M is built up a bit, and i added a doubler because sometimes 1st gear in low range is not low enough... so i'm if it was mine i would go as low as possible for runnin the 44s..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts