Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to try to patch a crack in my door panel. It's on the top and I figure to patch it on the backside so hopefully it won't pinch my arm anymore.

Anyway, is there a difference between the two part epoxy adhesive that's available and the two part epoxy that is used for coating and casting?

The coating one seems to come in a bigger quantities and I could find uses for it I'm sure.

But if it won't work I'll just go with the small quantity adhesive.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,854 Posts
I'm going to try to patch a crack in my door panel. It's on the top and I figure to patch it on the backside so hopefully it won't pinch my arm anymore.

Anyway, is there a difference between the two part epoxy adhesive that's available and the two part epoxy that is used for coating and casting?

The coating one seems to come in a bigger quantities and I could find uses for it I'm sure.

But if it won't work I'll just go with the small quantity adhesive.
Are you filling a crack, or trying to glue it back together?

Is it on plastic or rubber?

Yes there is a difference between all epoxies. The 2 part adhesives are going to dry rock hard, yet still flex a tiny bit. The coatings, at least paints, dry to a very thin Mil and are very brittle when not fully adhered. They generally crack instead of flexing.

For rubber or soft vinyl, an alternative would be a product called "Through the Roof". It's much like that flexseal stuff, but better and not priced out of this world. It would fill a small crack (it's a gel) and smooth out the transition. Caulking could also work very well.

If it's in the rigid plastic, take a piece of tape and put a couple layers on the face, covering the crack with a flexible piece of metal or hard plastic. Use some JB waterweld after scratching up the edges of the crack and the back side around the crack with a scribe and very coarse sandpaper (36 grit best). Fill the crack from the backside ( :histerica ) and excessively spill out onto the back face of the panel to give it a firmer hold. Once dry, remove the tape and it should be nice and flush. I did this method on my 85 instrument panel bezel, then even drilled through part of the epoxy with a hole saw. My patches were about the size of a quarter. They are the white spots.

After the hole saw cutting

·
Registered
686 Posts
Sorry, a bit late to the thread....

I've had success with aerospace grade epoxy to mend cracked dash plastic in my track car. I use Hysol 9462, sold under the brand name "Aeropoxy".

Aeropoxy at BVM Jets

I became familiar with the product when I was building scale RC helicopters, and it's pretty fantastic stuff. It stays where you put it, and is incredibly strong. It does have a longer cure time (24hrs+).

On the dash, I made backing tabs from aluminum and used the above epoxy to glue things back together.

The dash has held together over 3 years of use on the road race track, so far...

I wouldn't bother with casting epoxy, as it's not intended to be an adhesive. I would also stay away from anything with a quick cure time... it will be too brittle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts