Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
14 bolt help needed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andy351 i need help
ive read the stuff at pirate and ive read all the 14 bolt stuff i can find. Only thing im wondering is when i get my hands of one:

1: Im looking for one with 4.10 or 4.56 gears in it. Anyone know what i should be looking for? axel tag and what codes are which if i do find an axel tag.
2: Newer or older? i think the newer ones come with disk brakes and im pretty sure i can find a way to make the brakes work. Will those disk fit under a 15 inch wheel though???i dont want something to old however b/c i dont feel like rebuilding it. Just throwing a detroit in it.
3: On that ive heard that some of them came with a detroit. how do i find this? obviously if i spin the tires and they both spin like a locker i know its there...but did they come with any other kinds or just the detroit. Any LS's out there?
4: Do any of them have the proper spring perch spacing to bolt into a 91 BKO? just a thought

i know all of the axel work that has to be done and i am just considering this bc the 14bolt is strong and so cheap to build... im thinking of getting ahold of a 92+ year one with the rear disks. i would rather find the good ratio and detroit though...i have several yards around me...also can i make a 15" wheel fit???

thanx

DC

EDIT: Now that ive read this i just thought to my self that i can just turn the drive shaft for R&P and turn the tires to see if its a lcoker...sorry..thanx for any other advice you guys have though

·
Registered
236 Posts
DcSkater602 said:
14 bolt help needed
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Andy351 i need help
ive read the stuff at pirate and ive read all the 14 bolt stuff i can find. Only thing im wondering is when i get my hands of one:

1: Im looking for one with 4.10 or 4.56 gears in it. Anyone know what i should be looking for? axel tag and what codes are which if i do find an axel tag.
2: Newer or older? i think the newer ones come with disk brakes and im pretty sure i can find a way to make the brakes work. Will those disk fit under a 15 inch wheel though???i dont want something to old however b/c i dont feel like rebuilding it. Just throwing a detroit in it.
3: On that ive heard that some of them came with a detroit. how do i find this? obviously if i spin the tires and they both spin like a locker i know its there...but did they come with any other kinds or just the detroit. Any LS's out there?
4: Do any of them have the proper spring perch spacing to bolt into a 91 BKO? just a thought
Make sure you re-read-> 14 Bolt Bible By BillaVista

For 1 and 3, if you can pull the cover, and count the teeth. Sure fire way to tell the gears and if it has a locker.

2. Disk brake brackets are cheap enough, I suggest getting a rear disk brake with parking brake!

4. No idea.

DcSkater602 said:
i know all of the axel work that has to be done and i am just considering this bc the 14bolt is strong and so cheap to build... im thinking of getting ahold of a 92+ year one with the rear disks. i would rather find the good ratio and detroit though...i have several yards around me...also can i make a 15" wheel fit???

thanx

DC
In MN if you wait a month you can find 14B for around $100 complete, but I've never priced anything newer than a 70/80's model.
You've a better bet finding 4.10 or 4.56 in a 70's model.
I've looked into making a 15" wheel with 5 on 5.5" fit. The main problem in the center hole in the rim. You need to make it larger, and also have to turn down the hub on the 14 Bolt. Search pirate some more, I've seen pics of this done.

Also shave that pig!

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
DcSkater602 said:
i've never seen a 14 bolt with an axle tag so you will need to pull the cover and count teeth. a ratio like 41 10 or 41 11 will be stamped on the ring gear, so just brush up on your long division. never seen a 4.56 one out there but IMO its alright, gears for the 4.10 and down carrier are cheaper anyway.
DcSkater602 said:
i say older, unless you can find a new one in a junkyard that doesn't know what they have. the disk brakes are only on 2000+ axles so they are rare and generally expensive. i'm sure you could fit low backspaced 15" wheels on there but not many people are fond of that. you won't need to completely rebuild the axle but some things are gonna need to be replaced. the truck in the junkyard is there for a reason and thats almost always lack of maintenance/abuse. you're better off in the long run replacing the wheel seals and brakes.
DcSkater602 said:
pretty sure 14 bolts also came with Guv Loks (sometimes lockers more of a limited slip) they only lock like below 25 mph or something and tend to explode. i doubt you will find a detroit equipped 14 bolt in a yard, just get an open carrier and throw a detroit in for 350 or a lockrite for like 250. you can tell an open carrier because they look like the ones in the pictures i posted and you can see the spider gears through the holes in the side. Guv Loks look different
DcSkater602 said:
not that i know of

i'm no expert

·
I ♥ TTB
4,251 Posts
I'm not much help on any of this, but the one I got, the spring perches were too narrow so I had to widen them... I talked to quite a few people and was advised to stay away from the gov.locked ones ( I don't think the detroit will fit if you want to upgrade later IIRC) I left the drum brakes on mine, and they fit behind a 15" wheel, but I don't know about discs...
Hope that helps :beer

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
aight im hopefully gonna run to the yard this week. still debating on this but my 8.8 needs work...

the real deal is my buddys truck was wrecked and has a truetrac in the 8.8. if thats not there im doing the axel swap lol..im gonna go down and see what i find. i may just stick with the drums but disks would be nice and pretty. ive got mickey thompson classic II's i just put on. 5x5.5 15 inch wheel..those are fairly new with new tires...not lookign to upgrade yet if possible so we will see

ill keep u informed thanx for the help

DC

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
DcSkater602 said:
BTW what does WMS stand for???
wheel mount surface, its the distance between where the wheels mount
DcSkater602 said:
ive seen 63" and 67"...how wide is the 8.8?
63" = cab and chassis dually truck (no pickup bed)
67" = standard single rear wheel
70" = vans
72" = normal dually pickup
8.8s are 65" or 66"

i'm not sure about the whole 4.56 gears in vans thing, but gears for the 4.10 and down carrier are cheaper. 3.73 was the most common ratio i found in the junkyards.

if you want to run 5x5.5" wheels you will need custom machined hubs and to machine out the center hole on your wheels. thats easily $500 for all that.

the 10.5" ring gear is the only one thats really common, its the full floater. the 9.5" is a semi float. and i've never seen an 11.5" version, i think those are only in the 2000+ HD trucks. they are also monstrous.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,578 Posts
Ive never seen a chebby with 3" wide springs, so right there id think youd have to change the perches. I suppose if they were the same width apart from each other as Ford's are you could get away w/o changing them but i wouldnt do that.
It is possible to find a 14bolt with 4.56s; CUCVs had 4.56s & detroits in the rear.
The most common ratio in my area is 4.10. The CUCV rears show up from time to time although not that often. You barely ever see any with 3.73s around here; probably due to the whole plow-truck thing.

·
Try it now!!
9,125 Posts
I recently did a disk brake conversion on my 1976 14 bolt. My rotors are 12.5 inches and there is no way I can fit 15 inch rims. My caliper bolts are about 1/4 inch from the rotor, so they cant get any closer either.

Check my superford under 14 bolt swap to see pics.

-Will

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
kf4amu said:
I recently did a disk brake conversion on my 1976 14 bolt. My rotors are 12.5 inches and there is no way I can fit 15 inch rims. My caliper bolts are about 1/4 inch from the rotor, so they cant get any closer either.

Check my superford under 14 bolt swap to see pics.

-Will
Umm, do we have to go here again? For you, you could not fit them. Others have. Make sure you say this. You are also running your disc setup front of the axle, not sure why, and asking about your caliper bolts (in another thread). and you have not set up your shock mounts properly before install, why one would not do that with it outside the vehicle, I'm not sure. Please be careful what you tell people. Would you like to see (2) 14 bolts pics (at least) from your thread, showing dics and 15's, and my 60, using the exact same stuff, ONE MORE TIME? Just cuz you have something going on does not mean others have not done it proper.

·
Try it now!!
9,125 Posts
Shadofax said:
Umm, do we have to go here again?
Not unless you or someone else wants to.

Shadofax said:
For you, you could not fit them. Others have. Make sure you say this.
I dont speak for others.

Shadofax said:
You are also running your disc setup front of the axle, not sure why,
Not sure what that has to do with fitting 15's...or anything in general but ok.

Shadofax said:
and asking about your caliper bolts (in another thread).
Not sure what this has to do with fitting 15's...or anything in general but ok.

Shadofax said:
and you have not set up your shock mounts properly before install, why one would not do that with it outside the vehicle, I'm not sure.
Not sure what this has to do with the topic of the thread, or anything in general but ok...

I'll discuss this if you wish, but not in someone elses thread.

Shadofax said:
Would you like to see (2) 14 bolts pics (at least) from your thread, showing dics and 15's, and my 60, using the exact same stuff, ONE MORE TIME?
Sure but dont do it for me. Obviously the starter of the thread hasnt seen them, else he wouldnt have asked.

Shadofax said:
Just cuz you have something going on does not mean others have not done it proper.
You should take your own advice. I clearly stated what I did. I didnt say it was right or wrong. What I stated was fact.

A. I recently did a disk brake conversion on my 14 bolt. FACT
B. My rotors are 12.5 inches and theres no way I can fit 15 inch rims. FACT (if you know how I can come up with the space, let me know)
C. My caliper bolts are 1/4 inches from the rotor and can not get any closer (to do any real good) FACT.
D. Check my superford for pics FACT.

Not sure where I implied this is the proper or only way to do a disk conversion...:shrug

Or how I wasnt careful in what I said? I mean hell, nothing I said was wrong.

:madder

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Check with Blaze, IIRC he is running a 14 bolt front??????

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
nothing is wrong with your thread in the facts stated...that does not necessarily make it right. you IMPLY it can't be done, and someone reading it could easily take it that since you could not do it, then discs and 15's must be a no-go. When in FACT they should only be reading that YOU could not make it work.

Just so you know DCSkater...what I was clarifying was related to you thinking about discs and 15's. What kf4amu is posting about is his recent 14 bolt thread and the fact that HE could not get 15's to work. It surely can be done, just not sure why he could not get it to work. If you want further info. on folks that have made it work, let me know and I can point you in the right direction, or you can pull up kf4amu's thread and see several pics and a discussion of disc and 15's.

to your item B above, I think I do know. I remember in your other thread something about the holes being wrong, welded up, and redrilled. My guess would be that the hole placement still is not quite right and that the caliper bolts could be closer to the rotor. That would be my guess at this point since I am running the same caliper and same rotor, but not the same bracket, and my setup does allow room for the 15" wheels with more or less stock backspacing.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Shadofax said:
.....you IMPLY it can't be done, and someone reading it could easily take it that since you could not do it, then discs and 15's must be a no-go. When in FACT they should only be reading that YOU could not make it work.

Seeing as how I am at work, and bored as heck......

kf4amu said, and I quote, "I recently did a disk brake conversion on my 1976 14 bolt. My rotors are 12.5 inches and there is no way I can fit 15 inch rims. My caliper bolts are about 1/4 inch from the rotor, so they cant get any closer either."

That reads, "he" couldn't fit 15" rims on his set up. Nothing about it is impossible, can't be done etc. Where is the confusion?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts