Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are plenty of people either in the Army or people who where, so maybe you can give me some advise.

With the summer coming up quick I will soon be enlisting in the Connecticut National Guard. I want to plan it out so there is no possiblility of getting deployed until I am done with ROTC. So I need my plan double-checked.

Plan:
1. ASAP Enlist in ANG
2. Go to basic training during summer of 2006 using "Split option".
3. Start fall semester at UConn, and join the ROTC program (signing contract before the summer of 2007, before the Advanced training)

So this way, if I am correct, I will never be done with training until the end of the ROTC program, therefore making it impossible for me to be deployed until after college?

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Konham said:
I know there are plenty of people either in the Army or people who where, so maybe you can give me some advise.

With the summer coming up quick I will soon be enlisting in the Connecticut National Guard. I want to plan it out so there is no possiblility of getting deployed until I am done with ROTC. So I need my plan double-checked.

Plan:
1. ASAP Enlist in ANG
2. Go to basic training during summer of 2006 using "Split option".
3. Start fall semester at UConn, and join the ROTC program (signing contract before the summer of 2007, before the Advanced training)

So this way, if I am correct, I will never be done with training until the end of the ROTC program, therefore making it impossible for me to be deployed until after college?
If you just go to basic, and not AIT, you will not be eligible for deployment. If you go to AIT (where you learn your MOS) and later contract as a cadet, during that time between AIT and you contract you will be eligible to deploy WITH your unit (unless you have a priority MOS and they attach you to another unit). Usually Cadets don't contract until their MS2 year (or sophomore). You will have to contract before the beginning of MS3 (Junior year). Make damn sure you get enrolled in as many schools as you can when you can...Airborne, Air Assault, etc...Get them out of the way, and get some credibility really quick for your Advanced Camp-the summer between your Junior and Senior year. You will be evaluated and graded by your Cadre and Peers-this will determine what your future will be...Active or Reserve (yes you could go active at that point if you choose...And what your branch will be-Infantry and Aviation are usually the most sought after...

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that helps a lot, thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts