Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
si vis pacem, para bellum
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright guys let me start off by saying this is what i wanted to do for a long time since i was a kid but i let my family talk me out of it and into going to college:twak. after my first year of college i've officially decided its not for me.

im finally gonna do what i want to do and not what the family wants me to do, im gonna join the Air Force like my Dad. I talked to the recruiter today for about 20 mins but he had an appointment coming up so i scheduled one with him for wednesday. he told me since i have over 20 credit hours i would become an E2 soon after basic if not right after with a 4 year commitment. and i would be payed as an E2 the entire time im in basic if i signed a 6 year.

any of you think this sounds like bullshit? he seemed like he was pretty straight forward with me but i did tell him my dad was a retired AF colonel so he probably figured there is no reason to bullshit me.

he told me that i most of it will come down to my asvab (gotta retake it, its been 3 years) and MEPS. what jobs have really strict qualifications? im not going for SERE or anything like that. he told me to choose atleast 5 jobs that i would like to do and take the best one that opens first. he said there is a 4-5 month wait to get into basic now. seems crazy that it takes 5 month since 1.5 years ago they told me 6 weeks after MEPS

thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
496 Posts
you can thank mr. obama for that 4-5 month wait (cut defense spending therefore downsizing military)

can't really tell whether or not thats bullshit but i do have a good friend in the Air Force. he's up in alaska right now, maybe going to italy in december

·
Registered
496 Posts
you can thank mr. obama for that 4-5 month wait (cut defense spending therefore downsizing military)

can't really tell whether or not thats bullshit but i do have a good friend in the Air Force. he's up in alaska right now, maybe going to italy in december

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
If you sign for a six year contract, you will be an E-3 immediately upon graduation from basic training. But if you sign for a four year contract, you will be an E-2 also immediately upon graduation from basic training.

FWIW, IF you test very well, and find a job that you REALLY want that they are short of personnel in, you MIGHT be able to get a guaranteed job. It is possible in the AF, although the recruiter will tell you otherwise. He/she might even say that "we used to do that, but not right now with the drawdown." This is untrue! It may take a call from your Dad to the station commander/district NCOIC to make it happen, but they DO guarantee jobs. Again, you must score high on your ASVAB, and want a job that the AF needs to fill.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Look for a job on what is called the "Controlled Critical Shortage" list. They are always looking for people and most if not all will have a wonderful bonus to go with it. Six year enlistment will get you E3 and always get eveything in writing. If he cannot give it to you in writing then you know it is BS. Remember in the end you will be signing a contract for enlistment and everything you desire had better be in there or it will not happen no matter what he says.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
If you sign for a six year contract, you will be an E-3 immediately upon graduation from basic training. But if you sign for a four year contract, you will be an E-2 also immediately upon graduation from basic training.
False. If you sign for 6 years, you get the E3 stripe at 21 weeks time in service or the completion of tech school, whichever comes first. And you'll be getting paid for an E2 until that point, but you won't get to wear the stripe until you get to the end of basic. Just make sure they've got your pay grade and school stuff strait on your contract, or it won't happen.

Your recruiter should have a list of all the jobs and they're qualification scores and physical requirements. Things like intel and OSI have higher ASVAB requirements while things like TACP and SERE have higher physical requirements.

And the 4 to 5 month wait sounds about right. The Air Force is in the middle of a drawdown, so recruit intake is a bit slow. If I remember right, there is a option you can take at MEPS that doesn't guarantee you a job, or even an open field, but gets in the first available seat.

Word of caution. Ask your recruiter what he does. More than likely that'll be the only job he can tell you anything about. Anything else he won't have a clue. If what he does isn't what you want, ask around for someone who does. That's the only real way to get an idea of what your getting into. Some career fields can be real shockers when you get to them after training.

I know we've got a fair amount of Active duty guys here. I do Tactical Aircraft Maintenance. I know we've got a heavy avionics guy(adrianspeeder). There's at least one ammo/weapons guy here(Doba). That's what I can remember off the top of my head.

Also, going in Open isn't necessarily bad, but push for a specific job if you know what you want. You can check out HERE for a description of most jobs. They're kinda bland, but you can get an idea if it's for you or not.

·
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys. he told me to make a list of atleast 5 jobs so i've already done that. i have made a list of things to bring up at the meeting like; college loan repayment, bonus.

im not worried about the asvab at all. i took it in high school and made a 84 on the afqt, i figure its been 3 years and i've had alot more education since then i should do better

·
Registered
203 Posts
not the same but....

for what its worth, coming from nearly 20 years service in the U. S. Navy, and currently an active duty Chief,
you've got an excellent start by having already finished a year of college and if at all possible, you may want to stay and finish and then consider military. not siding with your family or anything, just hopefully giving you another line of thought. there will always be "nay-sayers" and those nay sayers will still be standing along the side as the cream rises to the top. what's really the difference in a retired E-9 and a retired O-6. nothing besides the pay. they're both retired, but while on active duty, you can effect more change and make more happen from the top than from the bottom.
food for thought.
Don

·
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i know that crash. but my lack of interest in school has really made my GPA suffer and i feel like i am just wasting alot of money and taking on alot of debt. i will be returning to school after i do my stint but it wouldnt help me much anyways since i was just getting an associates in applied science. as an e2 i wouldnt be making much less than i would with the job i was going to school for.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
What kind of job are you looking for? It is the failing economy not obama that is causing the wait. there are a ton of jobless people trying to get in the military right now. I work logisitics, Vehicle Operator, but im high enough in the pay grade that i work all forms of logistics. not a bad deal honestly. Vehicle Ops at first will be bus, wrecker, and tractor trailer driving. Also when you deploy you will be driving convoys, again not a bad gig. If i were you i would go load master or something like that. When i came in it was for SFS, and had a k9 gig but that canx that shred of the SFS AFSC and they chose this for me. Not bad ive been doing it for 15 years. Also get in shape now, if you cant pass a pt test you will not be able to come in.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Also get in shape now, if you cant pass a pt test you will not be able to come in.
Somebody somewhere didn't get that memo. I just wrote a referral EPR, this girls first one out of techschool for her PT score.

12 pushups?
18 minute run?

Oh by the way. Avionics here. Exact same job as Adrianspeeder except I've been doing it forever.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
False. If you sign for 6 years, you get the E3 stripe at 21 weeks time in service or the completion of tech school, whichever comes first. And you'll be getting paid for an E2 until that point, but you won't get to wear the stripe until you get to the end of basic.
Yep, I was wrong, after researching, though, you too are wrong. It is at the 20 week point after basic training is completed, or completion of tech school.

E-2 still comes immediately after basic training.

FWIW, I am a Dental Laboratory Tech--TSgt with 15 years in service right now, with a line number for MSgt.:beer

Also, it isn't the President, nor the economy that are causing the wait. As stated earlier it is the drawdown of the services. The USAF is congressionally mandated to an end strength of 332,200 personnel. The tough economic market has caused more personnel to stay in than normal. Thus, a draw down program has gone into effect to get rid of some personnel through other means.

From the Air Force Times "The number right now is about 335,500 and was projected to hit 336,500 by Sept. 30, the end of the fiscal year, if the Air Force doesn’t act." "Gen Schwartz and his force management advisers figure a three-pronged plan — the active-duty cuts along with the delayed commissioning of hundreds of ROTC cadets and severely curtailed recruitment goals — will bring the service back to its congressionally mandated end strength."

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Thnaks man--congrats to you too! What's your line number? Mine is pretty low 1873 or something like that. I figure around December for pin on.

·
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What kind of job are you looking for? It is the failing economy not obama that is causing the wait. there are a ton of jobless people trying to get in the military right now. I work logisitics, Vehicle Operator, but im high enough in the pay grade that i work all forms of logistics. not a bad deal honestly. Vehicle Ops at first will be bus, wrecker, and tractor trailer driving. Also when you deploy you will be driving convoys, again not a bad gig. If i were you i would go load master or something like that. When i came in it was for SFS, and had a k9 gig but that canx that shred of the SFS AFSC and they chose this for me. Not bad ive been doing it for 15 years. Also get in shape now, if you cant pass a pt test you will not be able to come in.
the recruiter told me to make a list of atleast 5 jobs i would be happy with and i was able to come up with 6, these are in order of which i would like most: AirCraft Loadmaster, Aerial Gunner, Inflight Refueling, Bioenvironmental engineering, Explosive Ordinance Disposal, Aircraft Armament Systems.

im not in terrible shape but not much for running, more of a hiker(10 miles in the mountain per week). but im already gonna join a gym with a buddy to get in better shape to make sure im fit for MEPS and PT.

i sat down and made a list of questions for the recruiter. i want to ask about the College Loan Repayment Program to get rid of most of the loans from my year of college (i was paying for it myself no help from the family), if any of the jobs i want are eligible for a bonus, and what the PT requirements for the jobs i want are so i can make sure im in shape to pass everything.

Im not worried about the ASVAB but im gonna brush up a bit just to make sure i do well on it. i figure i got an 83 in high school i should be able to do better now since i have more schooling and more technical know how (thank you 1989 ford bronco parked outside)

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Yep, I was wrong, after researching, though, you too are wrong. It is at the 20 week point after basic training is completed, or completion of tech school.

Touche! You got me. I was close though. In my defense my knowledge of that is based on my experience doing the same thing. I sewed on A1C in tech school. Which was roughly three years ago, so the details are a bit fuzzy. Good catch though.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
22something I figured December/Jan... you should sew on before December I think.
Before December would be FANTASTIC!

Paintballdude-you need to get to running in a big way. As of 1 July, 60% of our semi-annual PT test is a 1.5 mile timed run. The other 40% consists of the following--10% one minute push-ups, 10% one minute sit-ups(crunches), and 20% waist measurement (under 35 inches gets max points). In short, you need to become a runner of some sort--not in long distances, but of mid distance with some speed. Check out this chart--look under attachement 12--to give yourself an idea of how well you would fare based on your age, etc.

http://www.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/AFI10-248.pdf

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am in the AF. I say sign up for four you really aren't going to get hardly any more money in the end for doing six. I know alot of people who regret signing up for six which makes me happy I signe up for four. Also you will get a reenlistment bonus two years earlier if you decide to reenlist so you will probably end up making more depending on your cereer field. Do yourself a favor and sign for four years!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I agree with the navy chief look up the difference in a e-8,e-9 pay grade at retirement and a o5 or a o6...i have a cousin that is a e-8 and one thats an o4....their retirements are way different. What specifically do you do in the mountains? What kind of mountains? I was in the marines, i came from idaho to california, my run times were 18-19 for 3 miles i am not fast but the altitude and endurance was suprising. Also dont think that because you have more schooling your asvab is gonna be the same or better. I joined the army after being out almost 3 years retook the asvab went down not a lot. I went from a 88 to a 79 out of 7 years of marines and the space inbetween. I was trying to go into the navy and go nuclear since navy was sister service, but the army was the first to be able to get me in. Good luck anyways.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts