Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
si vis pacem, para bellum
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys i need help.

my pop has an 05 stingray 185ls(iirc) with a mercruiser i/o and it wont run lower than like 1500rpms. it just stalls out. it runs fine at plane but not at all for no wake zone speeds.

i replaced 2 different filters on it, the carb filter and another fuel filter.

any clue? its got less than 100 hours on it so i doubt the carb needs to be rebuilt

·
fishin' without dad
1,069 Posts
If you are running fuel from the station your problem is probably the ethanol. It doesn't do much for older rubber hosing and gaskets/o-rings. Try running some fuel from a marina(non ethanol) or buy some fuel treatment made for boats/ethanol issues. I have had this problem on my dad's and a few friends boats. It will run fine on marina fuel but will get "funny" on station fuel.

·
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
none of the stations here sell the e-85 mix.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
E10 is not going to hurt anything on a 2005 boat.

I am thinking by now it is EFI? There has to be a way to pull codes, or possibly the idle control motor is not working.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
also did this just happen?

will it idle lower when it is not in gear?

·
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its carbed. and no we dont get e85. 90% of our gas stations have signs that say "100% gasoline. no e85. better gas mileage"

i havent been on it yet this year so im just going by what my pop told me. he says it doesnt idle, it wont run at all below 1500 or 1600 rpm. but will run fine at higher speeds.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
then it sounds like the idle jets got plugged up with something. or possibly it is flooding out at idle from the floats allowing too much fuel in.

·
Registered
496 Posts
its carbed. and no we dont get e85. 90% of our gas stations have signs that say "100% gasoline. no e85. better gas mileage"

i havent been on it yet this year so im just going by what my pop told me. he says it doesnt idle, it wont run at all below 1500 or 1600 rpm. but will run fine at higher speeds.
he's not talking about E85 he's talking about E10 which is most gas these days.. try what he's telling you.. probably cheaper than throwing parts at it

·
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sooooo does that mean the carb needs to be rebuilt? sorry i've got efi and never worked on a carb before

wow vintagestrat i didnt even notice it was e-10 and not e-85. marine fuel runs 1 buck per gallon more here than road fuel for some reason even though it doesnt have the road tax. well try it

·
Registered
496 Posts
sooooo does that mean the carb needs to be rebuilt? sorry i've got efi and never worked on a carb before

wow vintagestrat i didnt even notice it was e-10 and not e-85. marine fuel runs 1 buck per gallon more here than road fuel for some reason even though it doesnt have the road tax. well try it
yeah cause i guess marina fuel is pure gas..haven't been around any marinas in a few years though

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
from what I have been reading online North Carolina does not have a law stating wether or not the pump has to say if the fuel contains 10% ethanol. most states have this at the pumps and it will not hurt most fuel systems, especially something 5 years old.

does he use the boat alot? Did it sit for a long time? Did he winterize it with proper fuel stabilizer so the fuel did not go bad?

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,511 Posts
First thing you need to do is realize that, though it's a Mercruiser engine, it's still an internal combustion gasoline engine, and the symptom is that it won't run below 1500 RPM. Pull a spark plug and look to see if it's black (rich run condition, as Jopes said), or ghostly white (lean run condition). That will give you the direction to go on further diagnosis and repair. Yes, if it's running rich, it will need carburetion or mechanical engine work; if it's lean, it has a vacuum leak, and on a boat engine, it doesn't have 300' of vacuum line, so look at the intake manifold, carb mounting or throttle shaft(s).

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
you can also get white plugs from a carb which is not mixing the fuel with air properly.

·
fishin' without dad
1,069 Posts
Why would the e10 not effect a 5-6 yrs old? My dad has a 06 24' Triton w/ a 225 Honda. He bought the boat almost new and began using pump gas. Not a problem at first but after a while it evidently damaged some of the internal fuel seals and a rubber line. I have since spoken to several friends and it has been a widespread problem around here...N. FL. If the rubber was run with 100% gas and then had e10 introduced it began causing problems. There are even products hitting the market to "help" the effects of the e10. I among a couple of very trusted mechanics looked at the motor and could not figure out why almost everything rubber in the fuel system looked like it was 15-20 yrs old(on the inside).

·
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i pulled one plug before and it wasnt black but had a little soot on it. i doubt it was winterized since he doesnt really take care of it that well :)banghead) but the fuel was drained then refilled. he ran it with fresh gas and it did the same thing. the engine has less than 100 hours which isnt alot. and he drives it like the 65 year old man he is, actually probably softer than that since my mom has a very bad back and is 60.

he hasnt done anything mechanical in years so i am getting stuck fixing it even though i get on it 1-2 times per year. he tried to replace a bad gauge and ended up screwing up the wiring so now there are 2 gauges that dont work.

·
Nvr Been Bnnd
8,675,444 Posts
if it has backfired there might be a butterfly issue. need to pull carb and inspect it.:beer

·
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
if it has backfired there might be a butterfly issue. need to pull carb and inspect it.:beer
hasnt back fired. i pulled off the backfire flame arrester and it all looked fine to my untrained eye

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an OMC engine in my boat and over the years I have seen it throw just about every monkey wrench it could at me. Now what it sounds like to me is the float is sticking in the carb. Unless there was STABLE run through the gas it is very likely that is the problem. Most of the time when the float sticks the motor just floods out and wont run. But sometimes the old gas gums up needle and seat and wont let the needle completely close but will slow down the flow enough to let it run at higher RPMs. And no it should not need a complete rebuild. I know if it is a Holly like mine it just takes a float bowl gasket and a can of Carb cleaner. Gas can start to get old and begin to turn into a sticky varnish like substance in as little as 30 days. Dump a can of STABLE in the tank and run it out after you clean the Needle and Seat. It should get better. Good Luck

1 - 20 of 21 Posts