Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got my hands on the Ford Racing MAF kit harness and MAF meter, but I'm missing the AKCO ecm. I want to install this harness in my 95 Bronco that is currently SD with just a single oxygen sensor. Now I have a Qh and can make changes in the tune. I run this exact same kit in my 93 Lightning but it has the correct AKCO ecm. I have the AHACA strategy from Pops Racing to tune my Lightning. What factory ECM is plug and play with this wiring kit in terms of the single oxygen sensor. I'm assuming all the SMD-272 hardware code ecm's can be tuned using the AHACA strategy that I use for my AKCO ecm in the Lightning. I will go in and change the MAF transfer for my 90mm LMAF meter and the Siemens 60# injectors. I just don't know if I can turn off the second oxygen sensor that many of the MAF conputers use. Is it the BIO0 ecm that only uses one? THanks!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
My list of EEC's that would interchange are here:
AHACA RAN2 SMD-272
AHACA BIO0 SMD-272
AHACA AKC0 SMD-272
VEX1 WAY1 SMD-221
VEX1 VEX1 SMD-272
VEX1 HOG0 SMD-221
VEX1 IVY0 SMD-221
VEX1 TIP1 SMD-221
VEX1 U4X0 SMD-221

I had a list that had part numbers too, but I think it's on a different computer.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But don't all those use 2 oxygen sensors?

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,976 Posts
If you're running a single single O2 sensor and the E4OD, you'll need one of these:
VEX1 WAY1 SMD-221
VEX1 VEX1 SMD-272

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What did those come in? 5.8 or 5.0? Is the BIO0 not also a single sensor? Do you know the ford part number for either of those so I can search ebay?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I will also add my EEC that I found. It is catch code DIX1. It came from a 5.0/E4OD with a single HEGO. Confirmed by Mike at Tweecer that it uses the VEX1 strategy just like VEX1/WAY1 EEC's.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Here is the one I have for my MAF swap.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hope I can find a salvage yard donor.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
To answer a question you asked, from all my reading the BIO0 is a dual O2 sensor computer from a 351.

tim

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
General options are as follows:

U4X0 - MAF E4OD OBD-1 (requires 1 HEGO)
WAY1 - MAF E4OD OBD-1 (requires 1 HEGO)
VEX1 - MAF E4OD OBD-1 (requires 1 HEGO)
AKCO - MAF E4OD OBD-1 (requires 1 HEGO)
BIO0 - MAF E4OD OBD-1 (requires 2 HEGOs)

The Mustang A9P/A9L not only requires a transmission controller, both require 2 HEGOs. I would rule out the HOG0 as I do not believe that it is tunable through a usable J3 Port (per FFI). This port was originally used by the factory for diagnostics and is required to provide backdoor access to the PCM Memory Bus for aftermarket EEC-IV OBD-1 tuning.

Easiest to find is a WAY1/VEX1 from a 1995 California MAF F150. I am sure there are other options as it is easy to have O2 Sensor bungs welded onto both your exhaust collectors to facilitate stereo HEGOs. Although your ACT Sensor is typically relocated to a new MAF Air Box, with tuning you can keep it in the existing Intake Manifold location. You will no longer use the MAP Sensor as EEC Pin #45 is not used. This is what I did along with modifying my existing K&N Air Tube to facilitate the MAF Sensor.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So how would I pin the harness for an additional oxygen sensor?

·
Super Moderator
9,665 Posts
I would rule out the HOG0 as I do not believe that it is tunable through a usable J3 Port (per FFI). This port was originally used by the factory for diagnostics and is required to provide backdoor access to the PCM Memory Bus for aftermarket EEC-IV OBD-1 tuning.
According to the Tweecer web site the HOG0 is supported.

·
Registered
101 Posts
What did those come in? 5.8 or 5.0? Is the BIO0 not also a single sensor? Do you know the ford part number for either of those so I can search ebay?
So how would I pin the harness for an additional oxygen sensor?
you can use any of those ecm's. All you have to do it flip a switch to make it a single or dual O2 sensor, then change the injectors to read if its a single bank or dual bank so your fuel trims with work correctly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Great post to find. I'm looking at going to MAF on my 1990 with 302/E4OD. Anyone know of a complete part list I'd need to find to do this?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts