Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok first I would like to say Hello to every one since I am new. I have a 1984 full size bronco with a 5.8L 2BBL with a Feedback carb. I have been working on cars all my life and have formal schooling in automotive. Here is my problem. I bought the truck with a bad intake gasket that was leaking water and caused it to be overheated a few times. I fixed that and got the truck running. I have done a full tune up also on it. It has a POS feedback carb which I know nothing about... Here is some symptoms I am having. On start up when cold it starts fine then begins to stumble while blowing white smoke out of the exhaust after a few seconds it go's away and runs smooth again. I can tell it's also running very rich it is getting about 6.2 mpg and has no climbing power what so ever. After a long drive I can smell the CAT converters which is probably melting my cats and plugging them.. Its not losing munch water maybe a cup every two weeks. On the highway its very smooth in tell I have to climb a hill then the pedal is to the floor to barely keep it at 60-65. When its warm and when I rev it up I get black smoke. I have to smog this truck sadly since I live in CA. What options to I have for getting rid of that 2bbl feedback junk and keep it smog able. It's driving me nuts If I could get 12-13 mpg I would be extremely happy lol. Hopefully one of you knows about these junky systems. I miss my 1989 Bronco that had FI!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I not sure but have you thought about the head gaskets? As your heads heat up they may expand and letting pressure blow by. As for the carb it isn't as bad as it seems. There is a place online out of Arizona ( wish I had the name) that sent me a rebuilt one with a core charge for +- $220. If I find it I'll message you.
Also keep an eye on the TPS (throttle position sensor), it can cause a stumble while under load but can be fine in park.
Hope some one else will chime in to help as well.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Definitely sounds like you have the means of a head gasket going out. how many miles are on the motor?
Bag that 2 barrel carb, its Garbage. Get a new manifold that will accommodate a 4 barrel, and buy a new carb. Not to mention you need to take ur heads off and check the deck on the block and heads, then replace with new head gaskets.

·
Registered
36 Posts
if you have the money.... i recall there being a loop hole in California's laws that allows you to update your drive train. what i mean is that you could buy a junked vehicle that had EFI and swap it with little to no legal problems compared with the carb swap... btw if you change the carb you have to either go points duraspark or HEI cause the stock ignition will hate you

·
Side step it
1,583 Posts
Double check with the CA. BAR website because I don't think you can change the carb from 2 to 4 unless your year had that option for your engine size and the same with the manifold. California is tough. Don't ditch your cats because they won't let you change them. All you can do is try to find stock ones and don't let the smog tech find out you changed them. Right on the website it states that any bad cats need to be checked by an official ref station, but in bold print it states we don't offer such a station in CA.....
Sounds right about the head gasket, white smoke when cold, black when warm. Plus, the water jackets on the heads become pitted and let coolant seep past too. Make sure to use good gaskets like Ford dealership ones or Felpro aftermarket ones. Welcome to FSB..........:thumbup -Kevin-

·
Side step it
1,583 Posts
if you have the money.... i recall there being a loop hole in California's laws that allows you to update your drive train. what i mean is that you could buy a junked vehicle that had EFI and swap it with little to no legal problems compared with the carb swap... btw if you change the carb you have to either go points duraspark or HEI cause the stock ignition will hate you
As far as I know, you are allowed to change/upgrade your engine to a newer year, as long as your new choice is compliant with all the smog/emission laws for that year............but CA changes weekly so check the bar website! :thumbup -Kevin-

·
Registered
92 Posts
I too had the feed back carb, and worked with it for years. It seemed to be very troublesome. CA will not let you throw on a 4bbl and intake so...

If I was you I would find a BKO and swap over the complete drive train, 5.8 roller motor, FI with the E4OD trans. You could likely find one for 2-3K.

Then you have better mileage, more power, and be CA compliant.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts