Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched through countless threads and still havent been able to solve my problem. i put a new belt on when i did a tune up around 3k miles ago because it was squeaking, and it was visibly damaged so it was most likely the problem
but now theres another squeaking occurring. sometimes its constant, sometimes its just chirping.
my idler pulley was looking pretty rough so i replaced it, but it didnt fix the problem. i took the belt all the way off and spun all the pulleys. the alternator has a real faint squeak to it when i first turn it, but only after the first movement, after it freely spins its smooth so could a bearing in it be bad?

it is not aligned at the pulley the fan is attached to (water pump if i remember correctly) which makes no sense since it is flat, has plenty of room and the flat part of the belt rides on it. i moved it to line it up and all of the belts lined up perfectly, but when i start it up i guess it moves back and still squeaks. and its back out of alignment

thats not it though, my p/s pump pulley does not wobble, but i can push it forward and back, but not even 1mm. and the squeaking sounds like its coming from the top left of the engine.

which leads me to the tensioner... it puts plenty of tension, and is real smooth when running. but the pulley also has a very very small bit of play. just like the p/s pump though it is not a wobble just a in/out movement.

of course spraying any liquid stops it, which is what i do to keep myself from going crazy while driving.

im going to a JY one of these days, if you were me what pulley or part would you get? i really dont want to drop alot of money replacing parts left and right so if you can give me a second opinion or tell me if the play in the pulleys is normal or not it would be great.

if pics are needed let me know

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so should i try tightening the bolts on the waterpump, and if that dont work pull it and replace the bearings or water pump? ill have my shop teacher look at it to tell me if it looks out of alignment to him and get his 2 cents

·
Premium Member
4,529 Posts
There's your problem... :thumbup Either the water pump bearings are going out, which is why its pulley is tilted, causing the belt to run out-of-line; OR, the pulley bolts are loose, allowing the pulley to tilt on the WP hub.
:stupid With out being able to look at it myself.

Did you try moving the waterpump pulley when you had the belt off?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright found my problem. The tensioner arm thing had a crack that made the angle of the pulley off just enough that the belt would rub on the pulley.this made the belt look misaligned at the water pump pulley. If you looked at it at certain angles you couldn't tell which was bad. Got a tensioner at a jy threw itin no more squeal. Only cost me 20 bucks and some blood from the spring popping me in the knuckle and middle finger but beats the headache of the damn squeal.thanks for helping troubleshoot lesson learned: look at stuff at more than just a couple angles

·
Registered
580 Posts
It did sound like a tensior problem, but , then Steve threw in his 0.02 and that made sense too.Glad you got it whooped.

·
Chillin on the Gulf Coast
1,596 Posts
$20 for a JY tensioner??? I woulda told em to keep it. Try http://www.rockauto.com/ for parts like that in the future. I got my spare tensioner from my junk yard for $5.50.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts