Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 1981 bronco with a 351, its stocked though! Im not a mechanic and wanted to get some ideas with performance wise. the truck has a lift and some 35" swampers, it feels like it needs more power to turn the wheels! what kind of engine parts can i put in to gain more power?

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the engine is pretty clean, the owner said that it was rebuilt and a new carb! when im driving it, it feels like the tires are just to big for the motor. do u suggest any kind of tune up or replacing some part?

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The gear ratios are standard so is the axle! I could check just to make sure though! would u recommend putting a bigger axle?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Not a bigger axle, just lower gears. 4.11's or 4.56's would work well with the 35" tires.

It really depends on what trans you have and how much highway driving you do.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Not a bigger axle, just lower gears. 4.11's or 4.56's would work well with the 35" tires.

It really depends on what trans you have and how much highway driving you do.
:stupid

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank u all for the replies, second when im going about 35-40mph with my foot off the gas, then i stomp on the gas the truck will not drop a gear to pick up and go! does that have anything to due with the carb?

·
Registered
777 Posts
hmm, 81 with 351.. you should have a C6 trans. should be a rod from the throttle shaft of the carb running down to the trans. If you have one, then probably need adjusting. IIRC Haynes has the procedure.

If you don't have one, then you need one, or manually downshift. I've had to lose mine since I put a GM TBI on :toothless and have been manually downshifting.

·
Registered
873 Posts
If you're sure there are stock gears in your differentials, then your motor is working too hard to turn those 35" tires. 4.56:1 ratio gears are the common choice for compensating for 35" tires. I'd make that your priority.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
with little or no mechanical experience, doing gears is not something you should tackle.. I know im not going to do it. And i consider myself some what reasonably knolledgeable when it comes time to wrenchin'. try reading up on it, and then decide if you want to try it..

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
is there a way to determine if my engine is modified or a winsdor? the truck got a new paint job and there is nothing under hood or the door jam stating the type only the size

1 - 17 of 17 Posts