Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw a soft topper for a F150 with a 6 1/2 ' bed, I think it could be converted into a soft top for my 78 Bronco? what do you guys think?
I contacted the seller and am waiting for a reply, here it is in the C/L ad
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/pts/802476753.html
but for this price I can't pass it up, wish me luck and give me your thoughts on if it will work, it should?
also here is the companys site http://softopper.com/gallery.html

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I figure too, and that is also a very good idea on the upolstery shop, I hadn't thought about it that way, I figured I could do it myself? but it would be better being that I dont know anything about doing it, and probably not that expensive to have them change an excisting top instead of making on from scratch. good call thanks

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,829 Posts
I'd say it worth a shot, it looks like there will be plenty of material there at the least, even if nothing else works.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just spoke to the man via email and it is mine, he is holding it for me and I will pick it up this weekend, I also sent the company that makes them an e-mail and suggested that they look into making them for our trucks and I would help them with any info I could, maybe they will pick it up and run with it? I told them there was a lot of interest here on this site for them, thanks for letting me bounce this idea off of you guys, it really does help to have a place to do that, even though some of my ideas are stupid???:doh0715: ...Rick

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A Glimmer of Hope

I just got a e-mail reply from Bob over at Softopper, he stated that they may start making a top for our trucks this fall. lets keep our fingers crossed and start sending them requests for this top, lets show them there is a market for it..Rick

·
Fullsize Member
2,804 Posts
Nice thinkin Rick, we might have you to thank if this actually goes into production. Even if you end up sinkin $200 into you're custom top you'll still be ahead of the rest of us.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It would be nice if this happens and they start making this top, their prices are reasonable for the tops they make now, so hopefully the bronco top will be too?, I am going to work on my top after I get some other things done around here and get ready for the winter months to come , it may turn into a winter project who knows ?, Thanks Double H I was beginning to think no one cared :cry
I also pointed softopper to FSB and told them to stop on by

·
Fullsize Member
2,804 Posts
Well whenever anybody hears any "breaking" news about soft tops they usually take it with a grain of salt. Hope this works out...

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, it usally does not happen? why I don't know, it seems like a no brainer to me,
I really like the top I found because it don't have side windows, I don't want any, I am almost positive I can make this work, I keep watching that video on their site over and over on how it works/folds and how its made, I have a pretty good game plan set in my head and I have not even seen this top in person yet? I think I will cut my hard top and mount it to that, I can pick up another hard top later

·
Need a Bumper?
4,769 Posts
I've been looking into making my own. My mother said she could sew it for me. I found sunbrella fabric on ebay for like $80. If I can build a roll cage I sure as hel should be able to make a couple of top supports. I dunno just thinking? I figured it would cost me around $140 to do the whole thing

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,829 Posts
Less wieght, and there's something about cruizing without the top on that is just cool.
Also Its easier to get and out if you gut stuck in between stuff or have the doors welded like my budd's is.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am looking to get as much weight saving as possible, and sometimes I want it topless but want to be able to cover it quick when needed, plus I just like them, everyone has there own opinions, Hefty all you need for the frame work is small metal electrical conduit / tubing and a hand bender

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
here is what I got for $50, I put it together and set in on the back, now to start figuring out how to shorten it up to fit the bronco and go and get some snaps, it looks pretty simple so far

·
Fullsize Member
2,804 Posts
That really looks like a quality top. It looks like the back section of the top will already fit nicely, you just have to modify/shorten the section that mounts by the cab.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts