Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
No avatar required
10,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're in the infant stages of looking to move southward. My wife is sending me links to houses and the houses look good but I'm interested in the area.

She has sent me a few in Richmond, Chesterfield, Charlottesville,VA. The others were in Andersen, and Simpsonville, SC. How is the job market, schools, crime rate, etc...?

At risk of sounding like a racist I don't want to be the only or one a few whities in the area, or live in an urban area.

Feel free to suggest other areas as well. NC, GA, TN, I'm open to anywhere.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
is FSB'd out
5,159 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Charlotte area of NC. Right in between the mountains and the beaches, a nice metropolitan area with a lot to offer from sports, music, restaurants, museums, ect. You don't have to live right in the urban area to enjoy it either. Just north are real nice places like Huntersville, Salisbury, or even Harrisburg and Mount Pleasant that offer more open space (a little more country living, I guess), good schools, less expensive housing, and just a short drive into the Charlotte area. I'm currently looking for land (5+ acres) in these places to eventually build a house. I love living in this area of NC and would recommend it to anyone.
Oh, and jobs are plentiful as the area is booming right now. Also, the crime rate decreases the further you get from the thug areas of downtown Charlotte. So, where I live in the north part of town is not bad regarding crime.

·
No avatar required
10,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I need a place big enough to park my Bronco and trailer without a homeowners association or the law hassling me. After all, I'll need something to wheel so y'all can show me places like Uwharrie and Tellico .

Thanks for the info so far, keep it coming. :thumbup

·
Registered
783 Posts
The Anderson area is good.When I was in the market for a job a few years back they always seemed to have somethin,but I really didn't want to travel 40 miles 1 way to work.The area is nice and depending on what your looking for,there is a broad range of housing/land in the area.

·
No avatar required
10,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My wife just send me a link to a house in Haw River, NC. It looks like it's near Greensboro. From what I see I like it. She is calling about school information. The main issue with anywhere we end up is the schools, particluarly the special education programs available for my oldest daughter.

·
Original FSB.COM Owner
9,560 Posts
i know I watched a dateline special here a month or so ago on how bad SC public schools were, thats all I know about SC really other than I like to vacate to myrtle beach and charleston a few times a year

as for charlottesville and richmond they both have their pros and cons like anywhere else, c'ville has some beautiful country and history, along with good schools and a fair job market, BUT, that job market is in part fueled by all the college kids, I used to work a sales route in c'ville, you forsure have to get used to all the kids around there

richmond? I know there are people from richmond who can better answer about there but from my experience its fairly good job market with pretty good schools but richmond is a pretty big "city" for us VA folks so its a mixing bowl of everything good and bad, I have drove through parts of richmond where my wife has rolled up the windows and locked the doors and parts of it are very quiet, but its a growing place, we went there 2 weeks ago to visit my wifes sister & family, they live in a very nice suburb of richmond thats far from the downtown lifestyle but "pricey" in my opinion as far as housing goes

I like the "slowness" of where we live here in SW VA, we're not that far from richmond, charlotte, bristol, va beach, etc but we dont have to deal with the hustle and bustle

I'm about 3 hours from richmond & charlotte, 2 hours from greensboro, if you ever need to come down this way for a look around your welcome here to stay at our place if you'd like, either while passing through or a couple of days to make day trips to other places :thumbup

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I don't suggest NC. No one knows how to drive (can't merge worth a damn, drives slow, erratic driving, etc), NCDOT takes 5 months to pave 3 feet of pavement takes 10 months off only to come back work hard as hell for 3 months and in that time pave 1 mile, taxes are constantly on the rise, not to mention the highest gas prices in the region, IIRC. I suggest one of the surrounding states. Eastern Tennesse or South Eastern Kentucky that way you're close to Tellico, relatively close to Uwharrie and there are a few more NICE places to wheel in those states but can't remember their names. Good thing about NC? Lift laws are slack, vehicles 35 years and older require NO inspection whatsoever, pre-96 vehicles only require visual/safety inspection.

Just my honest $.02

·
No avatar required
10,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Joe :thumbup

Lazarus, I live in PA and work in NJ, so bad roads and horrible drivers are no problem. :toothless

1 - 13 of 13 Posts