Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I need some help. I have a 95 Bronco xl with a 5.0L and its auto. Motor has 250k miles but it runs awesome. With this whole stay at home order I was bored and my oil pan, rear main seal, and valve cover gaskets were leaking so I pulled the motor. wasn't sure how much time I was going to have off so I basically pulled the motor one day, pulled it down to a short block, re sealed everything, gt40p heads, shorty headers, cleaned and painted, then got it bolted back in. Then cruising facebook market place I stumbled onto a Holley Sniper kit (been wanting one for awhile) for a stupid price. So I picked it up. My first thought was to pull the motor back out ( it was only basically "sitting" in the engine bay and install the sniper. But that led to a LOT of unknowns for me. In short I thought it would be best to buy another motor (351W) do a proper rebuild on it with the plan being to install the Holley kit on that. Now..... part of the reason I got the kit WITH my wifes approval was she really likes the racecar look as she calls it, aluminum dash with autometer gauges. I told her with the sniper kit I can install them. Pretty sure I don't need to explain the disappointment on her face when I told her I wasn't going to install the Holley kit now and she wasn't getting her racecar gauges.
So that leads me here. My understanding is some pillhead eating Ritalin out of a pes dispenser designed the engine management system in our Broncos.I have had the pleasure of trouble shooting a fuel pump, or chasing down a rough idle, or a misfire. Why 2 systems that have nothing to do with each other got tied together I will never understand. Why does a fuel pump have to have 7 circuits and 26 different components, obviously im joking but you get my point.
Sorry for the long post, pretty high right now. anyway. My questions.....Can I remove the dash cluster and just run Autometer gauges to keep the wife happy for now. I wont be installing the new motor and sniper for several months but I would like to get the gauges working now. Im not sure how much the ECU relies on the information from the dash so Im not sure if removing it will cause issues. Secondly when I do install the Holley Sniper system how do I control the E4OD? I know its tied into a lot of the motor sensors and those will be going away, how is this going to affect the trans? And yes I would love to do a manual swap but I have been looking for months and can not find a ZF5 locally that they don't want my first born for. Again sorry for the long post, I have been out of work on the stay at home order for 3 weeks and have 4 more to go.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,709 Posts
Basically have to get a stand alone controller for the E4OD. At least with the sniper. Holley does have a terminator X which has some Ford Trans control capability, but I have not looked into it a bunch to see if it will work on these older trucks. Terminator X Max....
I have autometer gauges in my '92. The gauges and the computer sensors are seperate in these trucks, so you can more or less do what ever you want to the dash. Giving Exception to the speedo, it converts the signal to the correct speed and sends that to the ECM, for the trans. I have always thought you could re-locate this to somewhere un-seen though. I have a GPS speedo in mine. (My 92 has been C6 swapped so no trans controls needed in my situation).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the only signal going to the ECM from the gauge cluster is the Speedo? that's awesome. I was thinking about cutting an old cluster I have down and stuffing it into the dash but I wasn't sure how much of it I needed.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,709 Posts

That is what I did, A piece a lexan will fit with a cut out cluster. Doing it this way keeps the gauges at the correct angle to the driver, which most people mess up when they just slap a plate across the dash. You 95 may have some extra stuff for ABS and what not in the cluster, I am not sure on that stuff. But there is a master plug behind the clutster that has power and all the sending unit sending wires on it.
I'd get speedhut gauges if I was to do this again, as I think they look cleaner, especially when lit at night.

·
Registered
142 Posts
following because ive been kicking around going with aftermarket efi on my prerunner.

·
Registered
1990 Ford Bronco Custom, 5.0L EFI AOD Manual Hubs
27 Posts
@Wuzzy any update on installing the sniper? I am doing a complete rebuild on my '90...pull ALL of the smog stuff off and getting a Summit MAX-efi 500 Fuel Injector System and i was wondering about the gauges as well. Also, my Bronco has an AOD trans so i should "should" be able to just use the existing TV cable since there are no electronics going to my trans. My speedo is a good O'l fashioned gear drive so i think i will be okay with that. This is all just theory, it all looks good on paper.

~Erik

1 - 6 of 6 Posts