Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure we've got some legal types on this forum, and I was wondering if I could pick your brains on something. I have a question regarding getting child support payments reduced, and if you think you can help, your input would be appreciated.

Basically it boils down to this......

We were divorced last October. She was working part-time, myself full-time. According to the CS worksheet, I made 63% of the total income, she made 37%. Ended up being like $500/mo. Since then, she has gone back to working full-time, and has recieved a CONSIDERABLE increase in her income (she now makes almost, if not more, than me). In addition to this, the divorcee decree stated that I was responsible for health insurance on our son. No big deal, I don't have a problem with that. But her lawyer conviently left that off the CS worksheet. It's another $200 a month for me to have him on my insurance, while she only pays for hers. I end up paying what amounts to $700 a month for CS with insurance and everything included.

Here's the questions I have:

1) Can I get the CS reduced based on the fact that I do have to carry insurance on our son?

2) Can i get the CS reduced since her income has changed?

Any help on this is appreciated.

Rabbit

·
Master of the Estate
3,789 Posts
Rabbit, according to NH law, You can request a change in child support (either parent) every 3 years, OR, if there has been a significant change in income (either up or down), which in your case would be the case.

Make sure you include the insurance on your worksheet/claim.

The KS state web site should have more info. You can file on your own w/o needing a lawyer and the associated bills. PM me if you have any ?s, been there, done that, got the T-shirt

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
If your serious about it, i would consider hiring a lawyer.

I can sit here all day and tell you what i think, but what it comes down to is i am single father of one girl that has full custody. My lawyer did all the hard work and i still go to him when i have simple questions.

It may cost you more in the begining, but in the long run, if your saving money, it's worth it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PaulT: That's kinda what I was thinking, but wanted to make sure.

Bronco Rob: I'm probably going to end up getting a lawyer. Just wanted to pose the question to see if it was even worth trying to get it reduced.

Thanks for the input!

Rabbit

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Rabbit, as a lawyer with a domestic relations oriented practice (in part) I can tell you this...what you need to seek is a modification,,,,GENERALLY it has to be based on a change in status SINCE THE LAST ORDER.....Here in MississiGDsippi we have what is called Rule 8.05 financial disclosures.....these often can justify an up or down change in Child Support, based on need and ability to pay....GET YOURSELF A GOOD LAWYER......Any one who represents themself has a fool for a client and an idiot for a lawyer...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts