Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone,

I have to change the spark plugs on my ride (351W).The problem is that they are very corroded, and I even have troubles to unplug the wires ( I think that the previous owner never changed them !). Of course i don't want to damage the wires or break the porcelaine, so I'm wonder if anyone has some tips to make it easier ? :whiteflag

what's the best way to reach the last one on the left of the engine ? Got too big hands to get there ! :toothless

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Someone here said that it was worth it to take off some of the stuff on the passenger side out....even if it does take more time, you'd save your fingers and your temper.

·
Registered
610 Posts
yeah i go under the truck and reach up..just make sure the engines cooled off or you have gloves... Also give them a soak with some PBlaster or other penetrating spray. You dont know if the last guy to put them in used antisieze or what have you. If you're worried about breaking porceline, make sure you have a spark plug socket WITH the rubber boot inside. Get some socket u joints, or go grab one of these..sure does help http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00943322000

·
Call Me Ace
1,951 Posts
i just use long needle-nose pliers to yank the wires off. then get a sparkplug socket and a 6" extension and go to town. id use a little wd40 or pbblaster to loosen it up a bit. when you get the new plugs- ask for some antisieze and use the electric greese stuff too so the wires dont corrode ontot the plugs again. replace those wires too- cus if theyre the corroded...you dont want them...
ace

·
Crusher Mike
6,111 Posts
Replace everything (Plugs, Wires, cap, Rotor) when you replace them use the grease that Gackner said. if you break a plug oh well your replacing it. Also use a "U-Joint Adapter" on your ratchett

·
Call Me Ace
1,951 Posts
well- if hes replacing them anyways...not a BIG deal... but i see your point. i didnt know they had an actual tool for that... i figured that thats why they made hands...
ace

·
Registered
610 Posts
WheelinElvis said:
well- if hes replacing them anyways...not a BIG deal... but i see your point. i didnt know they had an actual tool for that... i figured that thats why they made hands...
ace
yeah they've got a tool...very nice too! no more burnt hands on the manifolds, or having to replace a perfectly good wire you ruined trying to check a plug. Buy one, it'll pay for itself on your first tune up...right tool for the job kinda thing

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts