Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 302 block from the bone yard and I am in the process of rebuilding it myself to swap out the ol' oil burner I got now. Heres a little synopsis of what I've done so far:

Bored .020 over
Crank/Rods ground .010 under
Pistons- Federal Mogul Speed-Pro Aluminum Hypereutectic Pistons
Piston Style: Flat, Compression Distance (in): 1.605, Dish Volume (cc): 8.00
Piston Rings, Moly, Sealed Power Speed-Pro
Competition Cams Computer-Controlled Camshaft 31-255-5, FS XE250H-14
Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Duration 250/ 260, Lift .462/ .474, 14* lobe separation
Competition Cams High Energy Hydraulic Lift Flat Tappet Lifters #CCA-832-16

I have been thinking about replacing the Valve springs and the 1.6 rockers. With this Cam and lifter set and the type of Pistons I have, can I use stock size Valve Springs? I also want to go with the Comp Cams roller tip rockers, will this work as well with this setup?
One other thing I am curious about, with this rig being a "speed density" controlled engine, can I safely port and polish the heads without screwing up the computor thinking its getting a rich reading?
I so like the old style motors that are carb'd much better than these new EFI motors!:banghead

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
You can port and polish no problem. Roller tip or roller rockers is a good idea. You need to check with Comp cams and see what they recommend as far as valve springs, probably a little stiffer than stock. You can stick with SD easily. I went way more radical than that and I still have SD.

·
Registered
26 Posts
For the valve springs, you should use the springs that the cam manuf. says to run, otherwise you run the risk of rounding lobes off the cam, or damaged or premature spring failure.

As for rockers, why just go with the roller tip if spending the money? Might as well just get the full roller rocker.

As for porting the heads, depending on your goals... I might look at just doing a gasket match, unless you are trying to get everything that you can out of the motor.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RLKBOB- how radical did you go with yours? Give me some details:chili:
COBRA- A gasket match is what I'm planning on. Basically just to let the air flow better and reduce the turbulance. As for the roller tip rockers, i found a guy who is selling a set real cheap on Ebay cause he bought the wrong ones.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
You can click on my Supermotors link and look at the pics of my build. I have a couple 10-15 second video clips too so you can hear it run with the Bassani exhaust and a flowmast 40.

351W bored .030 over, forged TRW pistons(13cc dish), 9.3:1 compression, Eagle rods, Edelbrock intake(truck lower, Mustang upper), Edelbrock cam and lifters, TFS twisted wedge heads, Scorpion roller rockers, Jacob's ignition, Bassani headers and y-pipe, 3" exhaust. BBK 70mm throttle body, K&N cone filter, Roller timing chain(required machining the cam thrust plate), all ARP bolts and ARP oil pump drive shaft, fluid damper. Whole assembly balanced. Still have speed density, runs on 87 octane and runs like a raped ape. There's a couple other guys here that have a very similar build to mine and are still SD also.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
desertdave said:
As for the roller tip rockers, i found a guy who is selling a set real cheap on Ebay cause he bought the wrong ones.
How much are you talking about? You can get new Scorpion roller rockers on ebay all day long for under $180.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RLKBOB said:
How much are you talking about? You can get new Scorpion roller rockers on ebay all day long for under $180.
The bid started @ $49.99, I haven't been on today yet to check the latest bids.
You say you had to machine the thrust plate for the cam because you put in a roller timing chain? I am putting in a Summit True double roller timing set #sum-G6651, do think I will be required to machine mine as well? The Summit guy said it was a direct replacement for the 302.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
Yeah it's double roller but it also has a roller bearing(torrington bearing) where it butts up against the cam thrust plate. With the original bolts holding in the thrust plate, the cam gear couldn't go on all the way because the bearing would hit the bolt heads. So I had to have the bolt holes countersunk and use tapered allen head bolts that would be out of the way of the bearing. If you look on my supermotors page in the 351 buildup section you will see pics of exactly what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RLKBOB said:
Yeah it's double roller but it also has a roller bearing(torrington bearing) where it butts up against the cam thrust plate. With the original bolts holding in the thrust plate, the cam gear couldn't go on all the way because the bearing would hit the bolt heads. So I had to have the bolt holes countersunk and use tapered allen head bolts that would be out of the way of the bearing. If you look on my supermotors page in the 351 buildup section you will see pics of exactly what I'm talking about.
Oh OK that makes more sense.:doh0715: Those rockers are gone but I found another guy selling them for $53.00 a set. They are 4340 High Strength Chrome Moly body and chrome-moly tips. Sound good to me, what do you think?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts