Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
90 Bronco (351) was eating batteries. Found aftermarket crap spliced in on starter wire. The wire is so spliced and decayed that I need to re-make one. I just need to verify that I am doing it right...any suggestions on where to get an image?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve83 said:
Buy a Haynes manual.
I have one......I actyually need less detail....schematic probably is not the right word. The wire from my starter relay was sliced into 3 times. I removed those, as they were for aftermarket items no longer in use, but splicing it back together just won't work, it is in bad shape.

i want to be sure to re-wire this correctly.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
9bronco0 said:
Here you go bro, Scorpionboy sent this to me and it was pretty damned good! It has a diagram for everything including your exhaust fluid resovoir. It is http://aarc.epnet.com/application/88...CE Ref.htm
It will say page not found, ignore that. All the info is to the left
Nothing coming up...link appears to be incomplete

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the newer style starter relay but it is the wire that connect to the relay coil. it was a red wire goint to the top terminal.

Excuse my ignorance, I am the type that will try to fix a lot of stuff and does not know what a dang thing is called.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The whole story is that this truck has gone through 3 batteries in 3 months so I suspect a short. I bought it off a guy that had just replaced the alternator and negative battery cable and THOUGHT that would fix it. It did not. So I decided to pull off the wiring from some of the old, no longer used stuff like an alarm system, CB and trailer hitch wiring. I am not sure which but one of the three was spliced into that wire from the starter relay. I suspect it was the alarm to kill the starter. The prior owner had cut most of it under the hood or dash but many ends were still exposed to I had to trace which could have had power to them and the ones spliced in on that wire seemed to be the only ones.

So I cut them out and tried to splice that wire back together but it was so badly corroded that i am not getting a good connection. I have power but no attemopts to crank where I did before my hacking so I assume it is that wire. I need to make a new one and need to trace where it goes but because it is so damn cold I was hoping to get a diagram and not have to do exploratory surgery.

I think what I cut was the ignition wire.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Done..thanks!

I also pulled 1/2 my hair out trying to figure out why it cut out on idle. Stuck a penny in to keep it idled up for a few minutes and I am back on the road.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts