Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
And damaged by ship anchors, of all dumb things. You'd think they would've put some protective sheathing on the cables or something, especially in port cities, or at least routed it in a fashion that would minimize its possibility of being hit by such things. I wonder if the telecoms are going to chalk this up as another "shit happens" incident, or whether they'll end up pursuing anyone for damages.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
I find it retardedly hard to believe that they don't have some kind of warning to let big ships (the ones capable of damaging the outer shells of the cabling) know that there's a no-anchor area around them.

Whether it's on the charts on the plotters the big ships use for navigation, or on their hard charts, there's definitely got to be some kind of warning system the big ship captains are ignoring.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,744 Posts
Hell, im just amazed there are cables down there in the first place. Who says "Hmm, i think im gonna run an internet cable across the Mediterranean Ocean"?
how big are these cables? Fiber-optic or wire? How do they repair em under water? When the hell did they even get there? Had to have taken years to do. How do you even get a job like that? "Oh sure, i run cables for internet & networking.....at the bottom of the ocean!" Craziness!

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Hell, im just amazed there are cables down there in the first place. Who says "Hmm, i think im gonna run an internet cable across the Mediterranean Ocean"?
how big are these cables? Fiber-optic or wire? How do they repair em under water? When the hell did they even get there? Had to have taken years to do. How do you even get a job like that? "Oh sure, i run cables for internet & networking.....at the bottom of the ocean!" Craziness!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine_communications_cable :toothless

All fiber lines in the core. To repair it, they just winch it to the surface and do the repairs by splicing in a new section and adding more to it. As for the fiber lines, I'd think they have some sort of way to blow water out of them via sections or something, but I dunno... there's gotta be a way to get the water out or else they'd never end up with a clean signal path again.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
probably about the size of your leg in diamter.

they have boats designed to roll up the cables then when the boats drive the cable is feed back out.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
probably about the size of your leg in diamter.

they have boats designed to roll up the cables then when the boats drive the cable is feed back out.
Now I heard Rep is skinny, but I doubt his leg is 2" in diameter. :rofl:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts